Cannot install XP Pro from CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing a "Blue screen" hard drive with a new hard drive and cannot get my XP-Pro to load from CD-ROM. I've gone into Boot mode (F12) and selected IDE-CD-ROM Device. The drive spins, but nothing ther is no change on my screen. After a minute or so, the drive stops.

You did "Save and Exit" when you changed the boot order?

Did you attempt installing the hard drive, (as a "slave" if IDE), in another computer to determine if it is in fact defective?

Windows XP also won't install if the drives are set to ACHI or SATA without a driver. But, this usually accompanies a "no bootable device" or similar error. sometimes the system will loop hunting for a HDD. Set the HDD to run as IDE in BIOS

I did Save and Exit when I changed the Boot Order. This is an IDE drive and I do not have another system to validate it, but it's new out-of-the-box (not that it always matters)

I have both a Windows XP recovery disk and an XP Pro OEM version. My CD drive is asking for the CD (strike F1 to retry boot) if I try to boot without the disc in the drive

When you say you have a "recovery" disc, is this a machine that is "store bought"? If it is, the BIOS itself may prevent you from using any copy of Windows except the one it came with. The original copy of Windows is sort of "wedded" to the specific motherboard, 'til death do them part.

It isn't clear to me if you set the jumpers at the back of the IDE drive to the appropriate setting. If the new hard drive is a straight replacement for the old IDE hard drive, set the jumpers to the same setting as the old one if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back