Cannot overclock as much as before on new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

blimp01

Hi

I just got a P5N D mainboard so i can run 2 graphics cards in SLI. But after i installed this motherboard, i can only get my Q6600 to 2.8 GHz. with my old P5K SE motherboard i could get my CPU up to 3.4 and it was stable. I have a Zalman 9700 cooler, and 500W PSU. Before i used the BIOS to overclock and all i had to do was change the FSB from 266 to 378 and it worked. Now with my new motherboard i can't figure out how to use the BIOS to overclock and i use the AI Suite utility that came with the motherboard. Does anyone know how to Use the BIOS to properly overclock my CPU, because i want to get it to at least 3.2 GHz

Thanks!

The P5N-D should at least allow you to get your Q6600 to 3ghz stable without changing too many settings. Have you tried adjusting the vcore rating to a similar rating compared to on the P5K? You shouldn't have to bring it up too high; make sure the chip runs correctly at it's stock speed of 2.4ghz.

A motherboard with two video cards in SLI may not overclock as high as a motherboard with just a single video card. The second video card does use system resources and may interfer with an overclock. I don't know for sure that is your problem.

When i go into the Advanced tab and into FSB - memory clock mode, its set to auto. I can set it to linked or unlinked.

Below that it says:

FSB memory ratio - auto
FSB (QDR) MHz, - auto
Actual FSB (QDR) Mhz, 1066.7
mem (DDR) MHz, - auto
Actual mem (DDR) MHz, 800.0

Do i change the 1066 to something higher like 1100 to get the higher CPU speed?

When i go into the Advanced tab and into FSB - memory clock mode, its set to auto. I can set it to linked or unlinked.

Below that it says:

FSB memory ratio - auto
FSB (QDR) MHz, - auto
Actual FSB (QDR) Mhz, 1066.7
mem (DDR) MHz, - auto
Actual mem (DDR) MHz, 800.0

Do i change the 1066 to something higher like 1100 to get the higher CPU speed?

what speed do you want?
my Q6600 is running at 3.02Ghz atm on stock voltage/cooling all i did was:
multiplier=x9
FSB=335
then my ram needed to go down a notch or system wouldn't boot
(RAM automatically scales to your FSB)

I want to get mine to 3 GHz, but i cant find a nice small number to change; its all big thousand numbers

if you change the fsb to memory ratio(take it off auto) you should be able to get 3ghz easy. I think your system is basically pumping up the speed of the memory as well when you increase the fsb of the cpu.

if you change the fsb to memory ratio(take it off auto) you should be able to get 3ghz easy. I think your system is basically pumping up the speed of the memory as well when you increase the fsb of the cpu.

yup :) that's what i did, my RAM wouldn't take the OC so i took RAM back down to 830 Mhz and it booted fine (stock voltage also, G0 stepping)

Ok I'm running into another problem. I load up the BIOS, reset everything to default, than go into Advanced/JumperFree Configuration and set AI Tuning to manual. Than i go into Voltage control and put the vcore voltage to 1.33750. I leave DRAM voltage and HT voltage on auto, and change NB Chipset voltage to 1.42, and SB voltage to 1.52. Than i go into FSB & memory configuration and change FSB memory clock mode to unlinked. Than i changed the FSB (QDR), MHz to 1333 and Mem (DDR) MHz, was still at 800. I exit and save changes and log in and go to system information, and my CPU is still at 2.4 GHz. What am i doing wrong?

anyone know of any good overclocking software that doesnt use the bios that i can try to overclock with?

better to do it through the bios. A I tool is okay for Asus, if that's what you're using, but if i remember right you cant do much to the voltages.

Also make sure your multiplier isnt at 6 or something, w/e the lowest number may be.

Ya but when i put in my FSB, it gets reset to default when the system restarts, even after i save changes. Could this be caused by a jumper, or old bios software?

chk to see if you have any updated bios available, could be a jumper problem, a small fix, but lets hope that's not the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back