Cannot Ping My Router From The Internet

Good Day to you all.
Please excuse my ignorance but I am a novice.I have a Dlink webcam which is attached to my LAN via a TPlink Sim router. Everything is working fine. I can view the camera from the internet using Dlinks App. What I cant understand is that I cannot ping my router from the internet but Dlink gets through somehow! I have Tracert my dynamic DNS and it stops with my ISP. I need Access to the router from the internet as I have a PLC controlling my house and need access. How does Dlink get through?

Cannot go in detail but I belive for ping youre passing through a port and an ip address port forwarding would probably fix this generally the dlink youre mentioning probably opens/works on a specific port built in the app.

Use nmap on your internal network/router and you should find your open ports for a clearer image.

First, MOST routers are configurable as to responding to PING from the Internet - - that's a security feature and does not impact any other Router functions.

I need Access to the router from the internet as I have a PLC controlling my house and need access. How does Dlink get through?

Has nothing to do with PING.

The PLC needs a fixed IP address on your LAN; either configure a STATIC IP, or better, create an Address Reservation for it.
THEN, you Port Forward from the Router to the PLC port.

First, MOST routers are configurable as to responding to PING from the Internet - - that's a security feature and does not impact any other Router functions.

Has nothing to do with PING.

The PLC needs a fixed IP address on your LAN; either configure a STATIC IP, or better, create an Address Reservation for it.
THEN, you Port Forward from the Router to the PLC port.
The PLC has a fixed IP and it is port forwarded. This configuration use to work before on a different ISP and I could ping it but I cannot get a Fibre link into my new house as it is remote. The original question was "how does Dlink get through woth their App"

Last edited:
The PLC has a fixed IP and it is port forwarded. This configuration use to work before on a different ISP and I could ping it but I cannot get a Fibre link into my new house as it is remote. The original question was "how does Dlink get through woth their App"
Normally, we don't want ping to traverse the router NAT as that's another security risk. They COULD use the protocol of a browser where the browser (in your case the App) makes the outbound request first and that establishes a connection to the their server.

If your App worked on ISP A, then it should also work on ISP a,b ... z without any extra work.

Normally, we don't want ping to traverse the router NAT as that's another security risk. They COULD use the protocol of a browser where the browser (in your case the App) makes the outbound request first and that establishes a connection to the their server.

If your App worked on ISP A, then it should also work on ISP a,b ... z without any extra work.
Yes. Dlinks App works fine on both ISP's.

Back