Cannot receive email through Microsoft Outlook but can through Express

Greetings all. I am happy to be a part of this forum board.

Okay, let me cut to the chase. Earlier in the week, my boss accidentally WIPED his laptop while trying to do a system restore. As expected, he called on me to try and help him reinstall all of his programs, which included Microsoft Office 2007. Since he did not have his original product key, he had to go buy another copy. So while I waited for him to do so, I went ahead and set up his Outlook Express and linked it with his NetWest email account, which went smoothly. He can send and recieve email through it without problems.

Now here comes my issue. Today, I installed Microsoft Office 2007 and attempted to setup Outlook for him, as he prefers it over Express. However, it does not seem to be working. I made sure all of the information entered was correct, including the ports. I also disabled his antivirus and firewall. I've even deleted all of his old profiles and created new ones. Yet the issue is the same. While he can still receive and send messages with Express, he can only send e-mails with Outlook (but not receive), even though they both have the exact same information. Case in point, when I send an e-mail from my personal account to my bosses, Express will receive the email, but not Outlook (again, even though they both have the exact same information entered).

I have searched high and low on the "internets" to find a solution, but have not been able to. Therefore, I look to you fine people. Can ya's helps me please?

Is this only happening with Office 2007 ? Is this the full Office 2007 with Outlook version? We have too frequently seen the same problem with the Office 2003 with MCE or Outlook contact.
Have you tried a repair install of Office 2007, with the Outlook files in place?

Thanks for your reply. I was starting to think no one was going to help me.

Yes, this is the full version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007, complete with Outlook. And yes, this is only happening with Outlook, not Express. Express can send and receive mail just fine, but the full version of Outlook that came with Office cannot receive mail, only send it, despite both having the exact same information entered when they were set up.

I haven't tried to to a repair install yet. I'll try that tomorrow when I get to the office. In the meantime though, are there any other ideas out there?

One thing to make sure is that all the SETTINGS are the same, alongside all of the information,

With receiving, his e-mail could require authentication. Make sure that the box is checked for it and just have it set that it is the same credentials as his incoming.

The wording in Outlook 2007 compared to Express changes a little bit, but it still has to be correct.

Thanks again for your replies.

Exactly how would I go about authenticating his e-mail? I did not see an option for that.

Esteban Ramos

I will try and explain it.

Go to Tools > Accounts settings.

From the new window select the account you want to change the settings for. Select Change.

Another window will pop up, select More Settings in the bottom right corner of the window.

From the new window, select the Outgoing Server tab.

From this tab, check the box that says "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

And make sure the option box underneath the check box that says "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is selected.

Try your outgoing mail again and see if it works.

EsteBeatDown, Are you able to post back with whether or not you have successfully fixed the issue or not?

Thanks

Fixed It

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I managed to fix it, but in order to do so, I had to set up two accounts, one for incoming mail and one for outgoing. I used the exact same information for both, but used a POP3 setup for the incoming and IMAP for outgoing. This was the only way I could get it to work.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why it is working with this configuration and I haven't been bothered to research it any further due to my frustration with the whole ordeal. I'm just glad my boss is off of my back about it now that it is fixed. I told him that next time he decides to do his own computer troubleshooting, please call me so I can ATLEAST stand over his shoulder before he does.

Thanks everyone for your help.

EsteBeatDown

To ComputerGuy55: I apologize but authenticating his e-mail address did not work. It was a good suggestion and I'm sure someone will find a use for it, but sadly it did not work for me.

Well, what matters most is you now have email.

However, the IMAP comment is goofy has that is the postoffice for receiving.
I am sure that if you took the SERVER side settings from that account and put them
into the account using POP3 you could use one account and thus be able to
use the REPLY, FORWARD features of email.

The outgoing side of email always uses smtp and frequently that is seen in the
server name, eg smtp.domainname.com; the other form frequently seen is
mail.domainname.com.

If this has been a long struggle for you to get email, then I suggest
"If it works, leave it alone" :)

Alright, glad to hear you got it working, even if it is not the most effective way to use it, but as jobeard said "if it works, leave it alone"

Back