Cannot seem to disable onboard video

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is actually for my friend, I'm trying to help him install an Nvidia GT240 on his Gateway GT5220. When we install the new video card, the computer will not recognize it. We've tried disabling the onboard graphics card manually through the bios and through device manager. Device manager does seem to recognize the gt240, which we enabled, but every time we restart the comp it continues to boot from the onboard video, even though it is disabled. We've taken out the cmos battery and reset the bios, but nothing seems to work.

I have yet to try this card in my computer to make sure it is not doa, but will be doing that as soon as my friend gets off work. In the mean time, I thought I'd ask and see if I can find a resolution.

Here are his current specs:

AMD Athlon® 64 X2 3800+, dual core processor with AMD64 technology
•2.0 GHz

Just upgraded to 2gb DDR2 533 MHz (PC4200) corsair mem.

Onboard video is Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150LE graphics
Up to 128MB of Shared Video Memory

The video card slot is PCI-E X16

And he does have the stock 300 watt Power Supply. The GT240 does not require a 6 pin connector like most other cards (BTW the card's fan does spin, so it is recieving power).

Any help would be much appreciated, if you need more information just let me know.

Uninstall your onboard graphics driver first from Control Panel. Then turn off your PC and insert the card. In BIOS set your primary display adapter to PCI-E and boot into Windows. Your new hardware should be detected. Install the latest drivers for your card which are available at the nVidia website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back