Canon's new EOS 80D DSLR takes aim at semi-professional crowd

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Digital cameras may have taken a back seat to the sheer convenience afforded by smartphone cameras but make no mistake; there's still a market for interchangeable lens cameras, even at the non-professional level.

Case in point is Canon's new EOS 80D, a follow-up to 2013's EOS 70D. This semi-professional DSLR features a 24.2-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, a DIGIC 6 image processor and a 45-point autofocus system. The camera can shoot at up to seven frames per second and includes creature comforts such as Anti-Flicker shooting and built-in Wi-Fi and NFC capabilities that make transferring images and videos much more convenient.

Those interested in shooting video on the EOS 80D will no doubt appreciate the headphone jack for audio monitoring as well as the ISO range of 100 to 12800 (expandable to 25600). It'll capture video in 1080p Full HD MP4 format at up to 60 frames per second, up from the 30 fps limit of the 70D, and offers several creative filters like old movie, fantasy, memory, miniature and dramatic monochrome. There's even a Movie Servo AF option that lets shooters adjust the autofocus speed.

Canon says the new EOS 80D will be available sometime next month priced at $1,199 for the body only. It'll also be sold with a new EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens for $1,799. Optionally, the lens can be had for $599.99 by itself.

Permalink to story.

You know, these camera's today have become so complicated and so expensive that there are few people that actually use or have used a film camera. I used to have my students make their first camera out of a quaker oat box, a sheet of printing paper, some tin foil, a needle and patience. It would take about an hour to actually make the camera, then outside we would go. They had to learn about light, exposure, holding the camera still, and experimentation .... lots and lots of experimentation. In the end they got a lot better appreciation and understanding of how photography worked and after that we would allow them to bring out their more fancy camera's. A few went on to become very successful professionals, but most just learned to enjoy the art of making a photograph as well as an appreciation for what really made a great photograph. Just goes to show that you don't have to drop a bunch of cash to do something well and have fun at the same time!

New canon 80d or new sony A6300? hmmm totally going for the A6300.... on a specs per $ front there's no competition there

Wow I thought I wanted this Cannon but now that's I've looked into the A6300, I think I'm sold on that, time to save up a little.

Back