Can't access BIOS UEFI

By JOHN CONNOLLY ยท 16 replies
Dec 14, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Hi my 1st post,Ihave a Advent DT2412,Desktop running Win 10 home.I have tried all I can to enter UEFI BIOS.When I bought the pc I had no problem hittingthe DEL key and got in evey time. I installed an SSD hdd and still managed to get in to bios,the 2 keys that do not work are the DEL and F11 Bios and Boot Menu,Switch on PC and hit DEL key it boots into windows.Shift key and Restart PC wont boot.If I connect
    TV the Advent Logo comes up but never comes up on monitor.I f I hit DEL key it will not boot into windows and nothing happens.Any help would be appreciated.

2. holdum323

holdum323 TS Maniac Posts: 967   +247

DavidBailey likes this.
  3. JOHN CONNOLLY

JOHN CONNOLLY TS Rookie Topic Starter

4. holdum323

5. JOHN CONNOLLY

Hi thanks again for your info.Itried all these options and still cant get into bios.

6. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,006   +657

Dear John,
    Seems Advent is no longer an active business and I am finding it difficult to access their support. Please go back over the various methods of accessing UEFI settings. Perhaps it is 'Esc' or 'F2'. This appears to be a recurring issue with Advent (https://superuser.com/questions/1138511/how-can-I-access-the-bios-on-my-advent-pc).
    I have had success with some machines by holding a key down as soon as the flash screen begins. Unless your manual provides it, this key could be: Esc, Del, F2, F11, F8, F4, F6 . When you DO finally access BIOS, change your settings to slow the boot down - this usually means to 'disable' 'fast boot'. I also suggest turning off 'automatic restart on error'. Speed is fine until it is not.

http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/product-support/support-services

Currys used to carry this line, perhaps they might have someone who remembers.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    holdum323 likes this.
  7. JOHN CONNOLLY

It has an MSI mobo and I have attatched a file but I think this is a win 10 update fault. I have tried shift/restart and get into
    trouble shoot---advanced options---and all the 8 options available do not work.I was thinking of reinstalling win 10 tyo see if that helps.all used to be ok before the automatic updates were installed.Ill let you know how I get on.(file is to large to upload)

8. Cycloid Torus

9. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,185   +208

I do not believe bios would be affected by any windows updates,
    Try an old PS2 keyboard.
    Hold down several keys as your pc starts and hope for an error.
    Reset your cmos.

Power down. Remove the ram.
    Power up and wait till it beeps at you.
    Power down and replace the ram.
    Power up and cross your fingers it gives you an option to enter bios.
    Reset defaults and save.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  10. JOHN CONNOLLY

I tried what you suggested but the Media Creation Tool I downloaded could not open on my PC.
    I found an old win ten setup file dated 2015. I had already saved all data to another hdd and installed a clean win 10 home.
    after installation I pressed the DEL KEY and went into the bios.all my problems started when windows update ran and made the pc really fast.after 2 months you have helped me resolve my problems.I cant thank you enough.all the best.

Cycloid Torus likes this.
  11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,128   +982

For those following this topic: SOLUTION is to use a wired KB, not IR or USB. The KB must be found before the system boots, but that's where the USB & IR drivers are located.

info extracted from @Cycloid Torus post #8 above (y)

12. Cycloid Torus

Headsmack, light dawns on neanderthal brain. Must remember IBM motto...THINK.

jobeard likes this.
  13. JOHN CONNOLLY

It might be a solution for some users but I had a ps2 kb and I had tried all possible fixes and the only success I had was when I installed a clean installation win 10 1511 dated 2015.I have just allowed win update to install the CREATOR INSTALL AND WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I CAN STILL GET INTO MY EUFI BIOS.

14. holdum323

15. holdum323

Hi Here's MHO. If you're going to run W10, you need to be running the latest build and the latest updates.
    You can get the latest updates and build by going here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and clicking on "Update Now". MS creates updates for a very good reason. Here's a quote by Tim Fisher!
    What Is Windows Update Used For?
    Windows Update is used to keep Microsoft Windows and several other Microsoft programs updated.

Updates often include feature enhancements and security updates to protect Windows from malware and malicious attacks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    DavidBailey likes this.
  16. JOHN CONNOLLY

17. holdum323

Hi That's great. Happy to hear about your success with the updates.