Can't access ONE website, but I used to

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to access lipstickalley dot com just fine up until about a month
or so ago. Ever since then, everytime I try to access the site I get rerouted
to Yahoo! search or it just says that it cannot be displayed. I've tried three
different browsers, IE, Netscape, and Firefox and still nothing.

I'm able to access other sites just fine and I am able to access this
particular site on other pc's.

I have uninstalled all security software, Windows Firewall is off, the hosts file is clear, and IE settings are at default. My TCP/IP properties are set to automatic.

I tried pinging the website and it comes back at 100% loss, request timed
out. I've called Comcast and they show no restrictions on my server and had
me run a tracert. Based on that, they said something was wrong with the
routing in the area and had engineers come out and fix. Well the tracert
results are still the same since they "fixed" it and I still can't connect.

I'm running Windows XP, cable modem, router, no parental controls. I didn't add my router until weeks after the problem started.

It seems like I've run out of options, what else can I do?

the site is good
$ nslookup lipstickalley.com
Server: rdns-lb-02.orange.rr.com
Address: 66.75.160.64

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: lipstickalley.com
Address: 72.52.162.74

telnet lipstickalley.com 80
Trying 72.52.162.74...
Connected to lipstickalley.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:13:26 GMT
Server: Apache
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.5
Set-Cookie: bbsessionhash=64093f6d2bbf7bf807aa494ee3c21e30; path=/; HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: bblastvisit=1205450007; expires=Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:13:27 GMT; path=
/
Set-Cookie: bblastactivity=0; expires=Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:13:27 GMT; path=/
Expires: 0
Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0
Pragma: no-cache
Set-Cookie: bbwelcomeheaders=1205450007; path=/
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

Connection closed by foreign host.

and FF + IE can access it from my location.

let's clear your DNS cache on your system
  1. use the browser tools->options and clear cookies and cache
  2. quit the browser
  3. get a command prompt
  4. ipconfig /flushdns
  5. net stop "DNS Client"
  6. net start "DNS Client"

use the quotes as shown

test if you can reach the site

nslookup lipstickalley.com

you should get an IP address for it, then try the browser again

Got the IP, tried lipstickalley again and I get this error message:

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
Refresh the page.

Could it be that you have been banned from these forums by your IP address?

Maybe send the site staff an e-mail and ask about this?

Well I've gone back and forth with a mod to see if they could offer any help and they have no idea why I can't connect. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask again!

Server side issue? Can you elaborate...

That's not necessarily a 'server side issue'. I've seen malware/spyware/adware (or whatever you want to call it) create this issue.

You should scan your system for spyware... www.safer-networking.org (download spybot, its free!) and www.lavasoft.com (Download ad-aware freeware version). There are a couple of stickies dealing with this in the security forum as well (where you find much more info on spyware etc..) https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

munchi said:
Server side issue? Can you elaborate...
Your browser is on the Client Side and the web server with the pages or game is on the Server Side.

No router or Client software will cause 'Navigation to the webpage was canceled '.
It would be easy to produce on the Server Side using programmed navigation techniques.

jobeard said:
No router or Client software will cause 'Navigation to the webpage was canceled '.
I disagree, it's worth keeping an open mind on this one. Here are some random links that show the same message because of IE/Windows issues.

The cross-site scripting (XSS) bug creates a means to replace local page displaying a "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" message with a "Refresh the page" link. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/19/ie7_phishing_bug/

The Action Cancelled message (IE 6) or "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" (IE 7) is generated by Internet Explorer when entries in the users HOSTS file are preventing access from one or more servers designated in the web page. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#message

"When you start the Disk Defragmenter console, the following error message may be displayed and the Disk Defragmenter user interface may be missing: Navigation to the webpage was canceled" http://www.winhelponline.com/articl...-running-Disk-Defragmenter-in-Windows-XP.html

The Action Cancelled message (IE 6) or "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" (IE 7) is generated by Internet Explorer when entries in the users HOSTS file are preventing access from one or more servers designated in the web page. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#message
also very browser dependent, as the messages vary and Firefox just returns an empty page.

live and learn; every day there's something to learn.

Great news! I tried the steps in the security forum and got all the way up to step 12 when I decided to try the site and it works! So something between steps 1 and 12 solved my problem that was obviously due to spyware. I'm going to finish the steps although it isn't necessary for me to post any logs. Or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back