Can't boot my computer, no signal on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I've been running on this computer for 2 years now and a major issue just happened. I was browsing the internet and the screen got black and a "No signal" error message came from my monitor and even the sound of the music I was listening stoped. So I checked the cables to see if it had fallen off but everything was fine. I reboot my computer and it works fine for about 10 minutes then I get the same thing.

Two days later, I can't even get my computer to boot because I have this No Signal error when I press the power button. Even my whole computer is frozen. The fans are all working, including my graphic card fan, all lights on the motherboard works too. So I pin-point what the problem is and I find out it's my graphic card, my ATI X700 Pro. If I remove it and use my on-board card my computer works fine. If I put it back, can't boot, no signal.

I tried using another cable to power it and got the same results. But interesting is that when I turn the power the fan works well, in fact it goes 100%. Also interesting is that it worked fine for 2 years and I did not change my hardware since then. I also checked my power supply just in case and it's a 350watt and the requirements for x700 is 300. I tried un-plugging all my HD and DVD power source and nothing did. Also interesting is that for two days I COULD boot and got the "no signal" only after 15 minutes of activity but now it won't even start. And I can't recall anything I did that could have caused this. I also never overclocked it so I doubt it's fried.

Any ideas how I could fix it, as I don't have any PCI-E slot for more modern cards?

It sounds like the card died.

As to why, we can speculate. If the fan is going 100%, that might mean the GPU is too hot. Was there a lot of dust on the graphics card heatsink?

Yeah there was a lot of dust but i've seen much worst. Plus the card is made so the fan is upside-down so it's not very exposed to dust.

Regarding it being dead, it's possible to die that slowly? I mean it worked a little for a while before not responding.

And regarding the 100% thing, it had always done that on the first 3 sec I open my computer then it settles down. Now it's like stuck in opening mode. That's how I would explain why it does that.

Sometimes cards fail. Sometimes it's nothing you did or didn't do. Regardless of how it happened, the card doesn't work anymore. IMHO, you need to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back