Can't boot netbook from Ubuntu USB

Vollezar

I am trying to install Ubuntu on to my Aspire one. I followed the instructions at Ubuntu and Unetbootin to burn the image on USB key and I have set the book to boot of it. At boot it still goes directly to hard drive and windows with short delay. So I know it sees the key at boot, but just won't start installation.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Assuming the flash drive is correctly configured and working...

Normally when the BIOS starts, it gives an option like press F12 etc to select boot device, or words to that effect. Basically its designed for you to select a different disk to boot off of one time, like your flash drive in this instance.

Failing that, with your flash drive inserted, head into BIOS setup, and select it as your 1st boot device, then save settings and reboot. Once removed it will remove from the BIOS' boot order listing anyway.

This for me was also a problem when I first tried going about installing Ubuntu 10.10 onto my lap top computer. But as Leeky hinted, I was forgetting about the whole BIOS thing when I made my first failed attempts. Then I was like "Aaron drink a cup of coffee and put a new brain in your head", "duh Aaron, BIOS my man, BIOS"! After I talked trash about myself and came around to it, as Leeky said "F12" went into my boot up area, found that the USB option was now available, due to having the USB flash drive hooked up, BIOS detected it. I then selected the 1st boot device set to USB and whoola.....presto.......things after that fell into place.

After your install is done, simply remove the USB flash drive from the computer. Your BIOS will detect the removal and not give you the option to boot up to a USB device and it will return everything back to normal.

Sorry guys my connection died. Took 4 days to fix.
I figured out what was going on with USB. Had no idea I needed to format it into FAT16.

Well I was able to burn a working version of Ubuntu onto the USB. However now I have trouble with booting. It starts to boot from USB, but freezes right after the first line.
Any suggestions?

I don't even get to that. This is as far as I get:
"SYSLINUX 4.04 EDD 2011-04-18 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al"
followed by a flashing cursor on the next line. I checked the Ubuntu board
Code:
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1779418
, but could not figure out what they are saying.

Choose the third option and check disc for defects.

If that also fails, you need to burn the image again.

I strongly recommend following my how-to page on making USB bootable media for loading Ubuntu. My how-to guide in my signature below might also provide helpful in some part for the installation of Ubuntu.

It is the best method I have found in my endeavours.

Back