Can't connect new laptop to my existing network!

msta999

I just bought a new HP Notebook (G62-225DX), I have try'd to connect through the icon on the lower right and even had Verizon try to get it going (online), but no go. I can see my network and it says: Strength - Excellent, Security type - WEP, Radio type - 802.11g, and it has my SSID. I can see it say connected, when i try to connect, but then it disconnects. It always has 5 green bars.....I use Fios for internet and 3 computers connected wireless and two connected through wire. I will keep this computer connected by cable, but I want it to have wireless if I need it and when I travel. I took it back to best buy, but they show'd me it works on thier wireless net work, just not on mine.

When it disconnects, does the entire network card disable? Or can you go right back and access the network, and reconnect without restarting anything?

Might want to try a different channel. I had a similar issue as you are seeing with disconnects and general slowness, and changing the channel it's broadcasting on might help with that - especially since you couldn't reproduce the problem at the Best Buy.

When it disconnects, does the entire network card disable? Or can you go right back and access the network, and reconnect without restarting anything?

I go right back and access the network, and reconnect without restarting anything, but then it just disconnects. The message says: Windows was unable to connect network.

Might want to try a different channel. I had a similar issue as you are seeing with disconnects and general slowness, and changing the channel it's broadcasting on might help with that - especially since you couldn't reproduce the problem at the Best Buy.

I had verizon trouble shooting the problem, by downloading a program that let him take control of my screan and he did change the channel, but still couldn't figure out what is wrong.

Are you using the Windows wireless utility, or the wireless manufacturers/laptop manufacturers utility?

I've had issues in the past with my wireless card's manufacturers software and Windows configuration utility fighting each other causing the wireless to continually disconnect.

After messing for ages I removed the wireless card made software, and just installed the driver so windows identified the wireless device. Windows was then happy to assume control of it and I never saw a problem ever again.

Here is what I found in network connections:

Local Area connection: my network says Realtech

Wireless Network Connection: Realtech Wifi adapter. Not connected

Wireless Network Connection 2: Microsoft Virtual Wifi mini port adapter. Enabled

They really need to start simply supplying the drivers for laptop network cards, I've run into this problem on a lot of different systems.

I'm going to assume it's a windows 7 since you just bought it so the image Leeky linked isn't going to be what you're looking for. Also make sure you don't uninstall the other software that's likely on the system because they will uninstall the driver as well. I think you should first try it with the HP wireless assistant, first disconnecting from the windows one.

Something else I noticed, I don't have the run option (Start, Run). Is it somewhere else in windows 7?

They really need to start simply supplying the drivers for laptop network cards, I've run into this problem on a lot of different systems.

I'm going to assume it's a windows 7 since you just bought it so the image Leeky linked isn't going to be what you're looking for. Also make sure you don't uninstall the other software that's likely on the system because they will uninstall the driver as well. I think you should first try it with the HP wireless assistant, first disconnecting from the windows one.

Your absolutely right, sorry about that!

The correct image is: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...J4Qae8vmGAw&page=1&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

msta999 said:
Something else I noticed, I don't have the run option (Start, Run). Is it somewhere else in windows 7?

Its because it doesn't normally display on a default install.

To change items on your start menu:

1. Hover the mouse over the start menu button and right click it, then select properties with the left mouse button
2. Select "Start Menu" tab (if not already selected)
3. Click on "customise" button
4. Edit the options in the list how you want them displayed, and then click OK to close window
5. Click Apply, then OK to close the window.
6. Click start menu to confirm everything is set up how you want.

On another note, one thing that bugs me big time is the automatic hiding of taskbar icons by the clock. To disable it (or indeed hide ones you don't care for!:

1. Follow step 1 above
2. Select the "taskbar" tab
3. Select Customise button under the heading "notification area" half way down the open box
4. Tick the "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" option at the bottom of the page.
5. Click OK to close window.
6. click apply if highlighted, and then click OK to close window.

Its not your problem, but if it helps you...

To check your device manager:

1. Click start
2. Type in text box: "device manager" and hit return button
3. Device manager open up.
4. Go to network tab, and highlight your wireless device, right click it, select properties.
5/ Inside this window will be your driver information. You'll be able to confirm the driver version to see if it matches your newest install.

For the sake of eliminating the problem, I really would remove your HP wireless assistant software (its the same one that caused me the issues on two HPs) and then connect it with a ethernet cable to your router and then just windows update the wireless driver through there. Then you don't have the annoying assistant software and its one thing less for you to worry about,.

This is the image I have when I click on the little internet access icon on the bottom right.

Then its using the windows configuration utility. Scan your mouse over the icons by the wireless icon. Do you have anything else with wireless in the name?

Have you tried rebooting your wireless AP/router?
Your password definitely correct?

I edited my post as well, so you might have missed the bottom bits.

I just uninstall the hp wireless assistant in the control pannel, did a reboot and still the same.

Will the radio type have anything to do with it? I noticed they are not exactly the same.

Yes, rebooting the router was one of the first things I did and i changed the password when I noticed someone else was using my wireless.

I just uninstall the hp wireless assistant in the control pannel, did a reboot and still the same.

Will the radio type have anything to do with it? I noticed they are not exactly the same.

What do you mean by the radio type mate?

if I click on my little internet access icon on the bottom right, then just put my mouse over my network, it give me some readings, like name, internet signal strength, security type, radio type and ssid type.

never mind, I just went to my router and checked, it accepts it. I thought it was different. (talking about the radio type)

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I got it, turned out I some how put this computer in the mac block list in my router. My wireless is working now.

Thanks again.

Glad you got it sorted. :D

P.S. I did that once, to all but one PC on my network... Was early hours of the morning and entered them all in and set the options wrong, saved it, put my pc to sleep and everyon woke up to find no itnernet connection worked! LOL.

Back