Can't connect with ANY browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

TearsInHvn

I can't connect with any browser on my laptop, but I can connect to AOL on it. I have checked firewall settings even totally uninstalled them, cleaned out the reg checked proxy settings, dumped IE, reinstalled it. I run diagnostics on the connection, it comes back stating i am fine. I am connecting wirelessly. I do have 3 different connections in my internet connections but have disabled the 2 local area connections. I am now lost! Can someone PLEASE give me an idea. Normally I would just format it out, but i bought this from a friend who hasn't located the discs just yet. If you need me to run HJT or anything please let me know!

Thanks all!!

I can't connect with any browser on my laptop
1. What happens when you try to connect?
2. Error message? What?
3. Is this something new?
4. What did you do before it started? Update/install.uninstall?
5. Did you try rebooting?
6. Do you have a network set up with a wireless router on a desktop or other computer?
7. If this is new, did you try doing a System Restore to date right before the problem began?

1. What happens when you try to connect? it tells me i don't have a connection
2. Error message? What? same as above in both IE abd Firefox
3. Is this something new? I don't know... Like i said, i just bought this laptop from a friend. I can connect to aol, but can't use ANY browsers.
4. What did you do before it started? Update/install.uninstall? i don't know what he did to it
5. Did you try rebooting? yes many times
6. Do you have a network set up with a wireless router on a desktop or other computer? yes
7. If this is new, did you try doing a System Restore to date right before the problem began? no because i don't know when this started happening.

i just bought this laptop from a friend/i don't know what he did to it

Did the friend wipe the computer clean? Or did you inherit all his junk and settings?

Check in Internet Options and see what is set as the default browser:
Open IE> Tools> Internet options> Programs> Is 'Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser'? If it is, click on Check Now> Depending on what it says, if IE is not set as the default and you would like it to be, answer Yes at the prompt.

If you want Firefox to be the default:
Open Firefox> Tools> Options> Advanced section> System Defaults> Check 'Always check to see if Firefox is the default'> Check now> Answer Yes if you want Firefox to be the default.

NOTE: If you do choose Firefox as the default, go back to IE and UNCHECK the line 'Internet Explorer should always check, etc.'. IE is a bit pushy and if you leave the check in, it will sometimes put itself back as the default.

I am assuming (never a good idea!) that you have AOL piggy backed onto your broadband ISP and it is not you only means of connecting.

My friend can't find his CD's as of yet. So obviously it's not a clean install.

I just downloaded Firefox and this issue isn't about the browsers settings. I have already went through them. I'm a tech support rep so i know 99% of connection issues. This is the first i've seen of something like this. I can connect wirelessly or wired but not through my browser only through AOL. Also if i try to download any updates to virus software it tells me I have no connection as well. But yet i'm on AOL and talking with someone at the same time.

I'm VERY confused with this one.

Since you are a tech support rep, you will understand that we can only work with the information we're given. So far, all I know is that you use AOL and can't use IE or Firefox!

Do you have a broadband ISP with AOL piggy backed on it?
You have a computer and have no idea what's on it!
And tech reps should know that giving the operating system when asking for help is important.
Without the CD you are very limited.

Do you have a broadband ISP with AOL piggy backed on it? I only have a Broadband connection which is also wireless. I have AOL installed on the computer and use my boardband connection to connect to it. Which is why i am confused.

You have a computer and have no idea what's on it! I have no idea what's on it as far as software. It's not in front of me right now. I know what Operating System is on it, but you never asked me that question. Not to worry. I am getting the computer fixed as we speak. But thanks for trying!!

And tech reps should know that giving the operating system when asking for help is important.

I know what Operating System is on it, but you never asked me that question.
I shouldn't have had to ask-You should have known to give it.

Some tips for a tech rep:
Find the basics:
Control Panel> System> system Properties> find the make and model of the computer, the operating system, the processor, RAM installed. Also by clicking on Hardware tab> gives access to Device Manager.

It is unbelievable that you don't know this- many times a support person has to send the user here for the information. Maybe you should quit your day job.

Also, for a complete audit of EVERYTHING on the computer- software, hardware, Windows updates, run the Belarc Advisor. It is free: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Yanno what's unbelievable? It's unbelievable that YOU can be so rude to somebody on a tech help web site! You don't know me, or what level tech I am. That's for one. For 2, don't the rules state here on this forum to be NICE to people. You are rude and just downright nasty! Where's Howard? Because you need to be taken off here. I have NEVER EVER had anyone be so rude to me on a forum website before! Trust me... Others will see your post!

It is unbelievable that you don't know this- many times a support person has to send the user here for the information. Maybe you should quit your day job.

That is one rude comment! Yanno People do start out differently.

Control Panel> System> system Properties> find the make and model of the computer, the operating system, the processor, RAM installed. Also by clicking on Hardware tab> gives access to Device Manager.

I did state I am getting it fixed as speak. Your rudness is off the hook!

You have the option of reporting me if you think my reply was rude. If the moderator feels it was rude, it will be removed.

However- I guided you to finding both hardware and software information, which you apparently weren't aware of. If you got any useful information out of my reply I will rest easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back