Can't do complete system recovery, but I know the image is still there

I have an ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1001PXD preloaded with Windows 7 Starter. I'm thinking it had an Aleureon(sp?) in the MBR, but I did some things to it a couple months ago, and Windows is booting up. It says it is connecting to the network in my house as "public", but won't get on the internet. It won't let me change the classification to "home". When I did whatever I did (can't remember what), It created a new partition (E) for recovery files. I want the laptop back in it's factory state with the recovery files in D like they're supposed to be. There is no CD or DVD drive as it is only a small laptop, but I may be able to transfer files/programs from my main desktop to it if it is indeed connected to the network. Thanks in advance, Bec

Yes, but I didn't get any recovery materials with the laptop (it was gotten through a tutoring service), so how much good would an external CD/DVD drive do me?

Borrow or buy a Windows 7 install disc and use the external USB CD/DVD drive to re-install Windows

Network designation stuck on "identifying"

It won't let me change the network classification from "public" to "home"...should I be able to do it in safe mode?

something else - I feel like if I could change workstation name, I could get something going, but the button is grayed out, and on computer properties, it says it's not available.

ALL your symptoms look like permission issues. Changes of this kind must be
made from an ADMIN login.

try this; get a command prompt and enter "runas /user:administrator control" (w/o the quotes)

give the admin password and you get the control panel running with admin privs.

From there you can edit the network and system

Back