Can't get into BIOs, issues with windows XP

Ok I built a computer, I'll post the specs at the end of my post.

What happened was this, I made a computer and first of all I can't get into BIOs. Secondly, the first time I managed to install windows XP, but all it would do is load up to a screen that says, Windows XP is now restarting. It would restart and do this over and over again. So I plugged my hard drive into another computer and wiped it. Now it says bootmgr is missing press alt+ctrl+del to restart. I replaced the motherboard for free because I thought it might be a motherboard issue.

It ended up doing the same thing with a new motherboard. I suspect the reason I might not be able to get into BIOs after getting a new motherboard is that I'm using a USB keyboard. An example of what happens when I attempt to get into BIOs is that I press the key that is needed to get into BIOs and the computer simply goes to a black screen and does not do anything. It did this with both motherboards, so I suspect that it might be the USB keyboard, but this is the first computer I built, so I do not know if this is common.

I also reformatted the hard drive more then once, so I'm not sure why it keeps saying bootmgr is missing. I used a diablotek external hard drive device to reformat the hard drive, I have no idea if that has something to do with it.

SPECS:
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURS 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRM

atleas to get the "bootmgr is missing" away you need to boot again from the WinXP CD...btw, why do you use WinXP and not Win7?
Your computer can only use 3.25Gb of the ram memory that you have. So that the computer can use all of the ram you need to have a 64-bit operating system.

The main problem with using Windows XP is that it does not include SATA drivers for the hard drive. Are you installing the SATA drivers during the XP install? The other option is to set the hard drive in the Bios to run in IDE mode but you will loose all the extra speed that the SATA drive can give you.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Guide on XP and SATA settings in Bios.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windo...d-find-any-sata-hard-disk-drive-on-ahci-mode/

Back