Can't get to desktop before computer restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, as said in the title, i can't even get past start up before my computer automatically restarts. i turn it on, it boots up fine, i can access setup and BIOS, but after it starts booting it begins loading and takes an unusual amount of time, it eventually goes into a bsod (at least, i think it does. its set to automatically restart when i get it so i can barely even get a glimpse before my computer restarts) and crashes, restarts, and infinitely loops this process. any help would be appreciated.

oh and a little info, i recently had some computer problems unrelated to this (got a long beep two short beep beep code, it fixed itself after about 2 days) and i ended up getting a new video card despite it fixing itself, and i decided i didnt really want to bother putting the case back on entirely and just left it open in case it stopped working again. that was about 2 weeks ago, just in case having it open would have something to do with it

You might consider turning off your Windows ability to automatically restart.
Once this is turned off, you have a better opportunity to receive the error messages which help you eventually figger out what the computer's problems might be.

To turn off one aspect of automatic restarts, go through these steps:

Start -> Control –Panel -> System -> System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and
Recovery -> Settings -> System Failure -> then uncheck Automatic Restart when it is presented.

Then there is more to do, of course, but those resulting error messages can be helpful. sometimes.

Can you boot into safe mode? That's tap on F8 continuously while booting, you know? This will get you into a non-specific video mode, where your video drivers are Windows rather than what came with the video card.

I ask this, because a start code of one long, two short is very, very often down to video failure. Could also be motherboard failure, if this occurred both before and after installing your video card.

We cannot give you much advice without knowing a good deal more about your PC. Please see https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html especially the link to a good post.

yes, i've tried safe mode, same thing happens. it just crashes while its loading

well what do you need to know?

my pc was custom built by my cousin if that helps

ive tried reseating the ram, the video card, ive tried safe mode, messing around in setup and bios

oh, sorry, i just realized: i get an error that says something along the lines of "CHA1 fan failing or speed too low"
i thought i mentioned that in my first post

well, i dont think thats the reason either way because my fan seems to be working fine when i look at it when the computer is on

my computer also isnt overheating or anything like that, its been off now for about 16 hours

1) Do you have your Windows install CDs if you need to repair or reinstall?
2) You can also try booting into Knoppix (an alternate OS) See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]
> Help you recover your files if need be
> Will help test if the problem is your computer BIOS/hardware or your Windows config/installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back