Can't install IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maia

I have Mcafee and Windows Defender running on Windows XP and I don't know when it happened, but all of the sudden, I could not launch IE. I ended up ftp-ing into the Mozilla site and getting that browser loaded on my machine, but even lately I have tried to download IE8 and nothing happens. It looks like the download did not take place and I can't launch it.

I really don't want to wipe my machine out - so if anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome! Again, Windows Defender and McAfee are not picking up anything here.

"All of a sudden" might indicate that a System Restore would resolve the problem. Try that first.

Then:
Check what you have set as the Default Browser:

Control Panel> Internet Options> Programs> Check "Internet Explorer should check to see if it's the default browser'> Apply> Answer Yes when asked if you want it to be the Default.

Open Firefox> Tools> Advanced> General> System Default > Uncheck 'Firefox should check to see if it's the default browser.

This is probably not a malware problem. It is possible that the shortcut or Favorite has become corrupt. I do not recommend trying to install IE8 at this point.

That worked! Thank you very much. But too late about the IE 8 - that was something I had attempted before my post and now I have IE 8 installed. Would you recommend that I un-install it? How does the default browser get reset like this? Just curious. Thanks again.

Many things can cause a setting change and something 'nothing' causes it! Sometimes an update can change a setting.

I you're pleased with IE8, keep it. Know that it is somewhat bloated though.

I happen to be a dedicated Firefox user.

You might want to run scans with the AV program and at least 2 spyware/adware programs, just to check the system out- because malware can also cause changes.

You're welcome. If you decide to scan with the malware programs, attach the 3 logs for review on your next reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back