Can't install Vista service pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffokate

Everytime I try I get an error during the installation. I've searched a ton and haven't found anything to help. I've tried disabling firewalls, running malware programs, everything I could think of and still, nothing worked. I've attached the error message popup in my post.

Anyone know whats going on?

Attachments

• fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 11
I ran the update readiness tool and still got the same error after it had finished and I tried installing the service pack again. Any suggestions?

Edit: Now when I try to run the update readiness tool I get error "0x80240009".

^ I actually came across that googling right before you posted that. I have a corrupted file according to the Checksur log.
Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.
(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x800F0900 servicing\packages\Package_5_for_KB953733~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.0.mum
Now, I'm assuming a file repair from my installation disc would fix this file? Unfortunately, I can't find my installation disc atm, so does anyone have any ideas?

I've given up. I've tried everything that you guys have suggested, I've tried everything that I found through searching and still nothing. I'm just going to do a clean install with windows 7 tonight, so this thread can be closed. Thanks for the help everyone.

Jawshh if I come after one more post with your bad reply to a user, I will ask to have you banned! You obviously didn't bother searching. There is no indication at the point that the issue is malware related and having this user uninstall Norton for AVG is unforgivable!

You know, Google is your friend! For someone to ask about malware, tell you to uninstall your antivirus and install another program without searching, should get him banned from the board! And telling you to install AVG instead makes it obvious he is not current with the quality of what he recommends!

Please- don't make any other changes based on poor advice! If you don't want to bother searching, then give one of us a chance to do it!

There is a lot of discussion about this update- Please, before you do any more damage to your system, check the information HERE

As you will see, many other are having the problem, many others have not resolved it using the advised tool. If you cannot find any resolution on the page I left for you, please let me know and I will continue the search.

Jawshh if I come after one more post with your bad reply to a user, I will ask to have you banned! You obviously didn't bother searching. There is no indication at the point that the issue is malware related and having this user uninstall Norton for AVG is unforgivable!

You know, Google is your friend! For someone to ask about malware, tell you to uninstall your antivirus and install another program without searching, should get him banned from the board! And telling you to install AVG instead makes it obvious he is not current with the quality of what he recommends!

Please- don't make any other changes based on poor advice! If you don't want to bother searching, then give one of us a chance to do it!

There is a lot of discussion about this update- Please, before you do any more damage to your system, check the information HERE

As you will see, many other are having the problem, many others have not resolved it using the advised tool. If you cannot find any resolution on the page I left for you, please let me know and I will continue the search.
I never actually uninstalled norton, I just turned off the protection for a little bit. I also never installed AVG. I've spent hours googling to no avail. I have tried "sfc /scannow", "dskchk /r", I've tried renaming the "softwaredistribution" folder while WU was turned off and then turned it back on. I've run spybot s&d, malwarebytes, norton, and Ccleaner, none of them helped. The defender update will not install no matter what I try and without that I can't install the service pack. Like I said though, I'm done wasting my time with vista, because I was only installing the service pack so that I could upgrade to windows 7 RC without doing a clean install. I'm just going to backup my important files on an external and do a clean install of windows 7. Thank you for your help anyways though.

Although I suppose when I had Vundo a few weeks ago that could've damaged something. I got rid of it completely, but after my wifi stopped working. I didn't disconnect from the internet while I was removing it, but I'm not sure that this has anything to do with my problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back