Can't install Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spank_1973

Had the same problem a few weeks ago ( https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic83740.html ) but in that occasion it sorted itself out.

Whilst uninstalling a program the power died (bonehead me switched off the wrong socket) & I couldn’t boot or install Vista.
Took out 250GB HDD & using old PC (which I'm writing this on) transferred about 50GB of data onto an 80GB HDD.
Formatted the 250GB & put it back inside the new pc & tried to install Vista. I got the following stop message

stop: 0X0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005 0XFFFFF800985E251 0XFFFFF98000A05B98 0FFFFF90000A05570)

borrowed a m8's copy of 32 bit XP (don't have 1 myself) & it installed ok, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

The only change since I built the rig in March was the addition of 2GB & since it's always shown as 4 in total.

any ideas?

Well if you think it has to do with the hard drive somehow then I'd boot up with that XP cd again and delete your partitions. Then I'd take the XP disk out and put the Vista one in and hit reset, boot up from the Vista disk with an unpartitioned hard drive and the setup should proceed as normal.

I removed the partition in on my HDD before formatting it.
I get the BSOD (with message) if I try & boot from the Vista DVD.
If it is a hardware issuse, how come XP will install but not Vista?

1. Try to install vista on another machine just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the disc.

2. Put the HD (that doesn't allow vista to be installed) as the slave, and zero out the HD entirely to make sure everything is destroyed. Then put the HD back as main and see if you can install vista.

3. OR put the HD in another pc and see if you can install vista from there and see if your computer itself doesn't like vista.

Well it's not the HDD

I removed 2 sticks & it installed O.K. So I thought it must be bad memory (even though it all showed up in the starting screen), changed the sticks around (remembering to keep them in pairs) & it booted up again.
However if I tried adding even 1 (the third) stick it starts to boot, goes to a blue screen & reboots itself.

Is it a bad mobo?

u don't wanna go there yet. You wanna first test it out. I'd recommend installing in XP, then using it for a full week (along with stress tests, benchmarks and playing games on it) to really see if its a bad mobo.

Well It works now, I ran the memory diagnostic with 2 sticks, just to see if it would pick up any problems (it didn't), so tried with 4 sticks in & again no problems found & it boots & works fine now.

Vista may be incompatible on some older motherboards. Check with the Vista compatibility and hardware tester program available from M$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back