Can't read old CDs I used to be able to

Can't figure this one out so any help is appreciated.

Back in 2008. I bought a Memorex CD burner along with some ultra speed CD-RW memorex cd's.

I put text files on these CD's that backs up the information for patients at my work.

I've read these CD's after i create them. In the computer drive not the memorex burner. Now ( Jan 2011 ) Out of 6 computers i own. All ranging from a 1999 dell to a new dell XPS and HP laptop , none will read the CDs.

The strange thing is , around march of 2010 i switched CDs to a Memorex CD-R cd and i can read every single one of them.

But nothing later than march of 2010.

Any idea on how to get the information off all my other cds?

The CD's are : Memorex CD-RW ultra speed 24x 700mb 80min. ( First CD's i used )

After march 2010 i bought Memorex CD-R 52x 700mb 80 min cds.

** Note ** - The drive doesnt come up with a error , it just free spins , never loading the disc just sorta freezes trying to read it.

Thanks for any help,
Dustin

Sounds like the media has just gone bad. I can't think of any way to read them if none of your drives is able to. Maybe a stronger laser.

You might try reading the CD's on the original Memorex CD burner if you still have it.

I've recently been trying to read some CDs I burned probably 6-8 years ago. Damn good thing nothing important was on them because I can see the files, but I can't open them, disk just spins and spins.

The ink/dye that gets written to doesn't last forever, I think the average expected life for the disks is around 5 years (probably give or take a lot based on the disk and burner). It seems odd your disks have died in 2-3 years but maybe they did. You might have some luck with something like this: http://www.cdroller.com/
I'm sure there are some free alternatives out there, but admittedly I haven't looked into it much.

Back