Can't read UDF format discs (Win7)

Mugsy

I reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit) after moving to an SSD. Now, for some mysterious reason, I can no longer read UDF format discs (all Blueray and some DVD's are UDF).

Microsoft's Knowledge Base posts a "hotfix", but it didn't work.

I searched online and lots of people seem to have this same problem, but no one has a fix.

How is it I can WRITE udf discs but not READ them? What a pain.

(Note: I can read the discs in XP and Linux, just not Win7. Copying the discs to the HDD every time I want to read them is not a long-term solution. And I can't copy commercial BD discs anyway.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640 is for XP, but does contain some useful information and possible work-rounds. At a guess, I would expect MS to address whatever they have done wrong before too long. In the meantime, an update of the Win7 DVD driver (and/or firmware) for your actual hardware might be available. Try the website of your DVD manufacturer.

At worst, if there is no software solution within a couple of months, you might have to consider replacing the drive, at least you can return a new drive if it fails you too.

an update of the Win7 DVD driver (and/or firmware) for your actual hardware might be available.
Thanks for the reply. I've actually already seen the link you mention above. But you're not the first to mention "UDF" and "driver" in the same breath.

On the off-chance this is a driver issue, I installed IObit's free "Driver Booster" which lists outdated drivers and auto updates them. One of the drivers that needed "updating" was my "Intel C220 Sata AHCI Controller". So I took a chance and it did indeed restore UDF support!

Now if I can just get my Blueray Movie Player software to work again (it buffers 10% of the disc and then the program just closes. No crash, no error message, it just disappears.)

Thx.

Now if I can just get my Blueray Movie Player software to work again (it buffers 10% of the disc and then the program just closes. No crash, no error message, it just disappears.).

Glad you moved forward. Now the BlueRay question you have left looks rather like a problem with the player software. I would update/reinstall that to ensure it links properly with your new driver.

Despite no visible error appearing, you should check Windows logs - there is a vast amount of information there, and you might get some clues. Type eventvwr.msc in the search box.

Glad you moved forward. Now the BlueRay question you have left looks rather like a problem with the player software. I would update/reinstall that to ensure it links properly with your new driver.
Yep, uninstalling/reinstalling the program (now that UDF is working) worked and BD discs are playing again.

Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Back