Can't remove duplicate PnP Enumerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lenovo laptop here running XP Pro SP3. It's used for sound editing and therefore has two sound devices, the onboard (Realtek HD) and a USB Interface.

The other day Windows stopped recognizing these devices, although they were both correctly installed in device manager. I did some research and found that my Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was missing. I reinstalled it using the "remove line 20 from machine.inf, update driver, browse to machine.inf" method. This worked and my PnP Enumerator was restored, but still no sound.

I restarted the computer to find two instances of the PnP Enumerator, and the Microsoft Audio Kernel Splitter reporting:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

I tried to uninstall one of the enumerators, but both had the uninstall option grayed-out. I tried again in safe mode to no avail.

I think that if I could get rid of one of those enumerators it might be happy again. Any suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back