Case search

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, so ive been looking quite a bit on newegg.com, and wanted to check here about cases. until i see a better case for the price, the antec cases have gotten insanely good reviews all around. great PSU, great design, great price. however...it looks a little too simple for me, i was looking for something a bit more adventurous. however..most of the "pretty" cases come with mediocre or bad psu's..or so it seems. can anybody prove me otherwise? or have any cool case suggestions?

cases ive been looking into: rosewill (so far, my fav, but might have to replace the psu, as with the other cool-looking cases), raidmax, and aspire. im looking to spend around 70-80..100 if it's really worth it. any suggestions on psu's if i need to replace?

You need to spend that amount on a decent PSU alone!
Enermax, Antec TruePower, the Fortron PSUs from 400w onwards (with 12cm fan). I love the Hiper Type R 480w.
Whatever case you buy (possibly with the exception of Antec), they nearly all have crappy PSUs, but at least you get a spare for emergencies that way.

rbs is right, getting a good PSU with a case (sans very expensive high end cases like antecs and thermaltakes) is rare. Once in a while you get lucky but I would not factor that in. I can't count how many times I've gotten and a case and put my standard hardware into it only to have the PSU fail on my a few weeks later.

I don't think you'll have to spend $80 to get one that is decent, though. If "ultra-quiet", "ultra turbo delux" and "neon lights" aren't your bag, any midrange brand name PSU will likely suit you just fine. I personally reccomend Antec and Sparkle.

If somehow you increase your budget for a case I highly recommend a Coolermaster of some sort - but you'll be buying your PS seperately. I usually spend about $100 just on my PS though. My next case is going to be a Silverstone but I don't have one yet so I can't really recommend it to anyone. I do know that Silverstone is made up of people who used to work for Coolermaster.

yeah im not looking to trip out this computer. it is by no means a performance pc, just mid-range: AMD 3000+, 1gig ram, 80gb sata, geforce 6200, dvd burner.

no plans on a second harddrive, wont need it, have a 160gb external for storage. dont play games much, wont need a video card upgrade. the only thing i can think i would ever add would be either a tv tuner or a pro-audio recording card.

i saw a website someone posted listed what psu's to watch out for and which ones were recommended, and there were plenty that would suit me fine i believe in the $50-60 range, which would be fine if coupled with a cool looking case designed well, which was my original question.

For your rig, a 350w would be fine. I got the antec 1650b case. I like it and it was $60(plus shipping). It has an antec silent 350w psu with 21a on the 12v(it lists 16a on many sites, but mine has 21a). It may be too "boring" though. The problem with getting a separate psu is that you have to pay shipping on both the case and the psu(unless you buy from a place w/ free shipping).

excellent how do you like the case? ive heard such great things that i might just have to buy it if i cant find a good alternative. damn good price too. anybody know of some well-made cool looking cases?

haha whoa! that case is hardcore. very cool but not what i had in mind..just a fairly average case with maybe a window...couple lights, and a sleek design. there seem to be a lot of them out there..im just clueless which ones are any good :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back