Catalyst 10.7 drivers add H.264 acceleration for VLC 1.1.1

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD has pushed out its latest Catalyst display drivers today, bringing numerous changes, including H.264 acceleration for VLC media player version 1.1.1 when running on Radeon HD 4000 and 5000 series graphics cards. There are a few multi-display enhancements, such as user-defined bezel compensation when maximizing a window across several screens.

Catalyst 10.7 is mostly comprised of random tweaks like an improved pull-down detection algorithm for higher quality visuals on certain types of video content when using an HD 5000 GPU, and support for rotated displays with CrossFireX setups. Individual game performance improvements are limited to a small 3-10% gain in Borderlands depending on your card, and there's only a handful of bug fixes. You'll find the complete release notes here (PDF), and we have both the desktop and mobile drivers linked below:

Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

In it itself, the feature is handy. But in reality it is not. Most computers that even have VLC installed, are of experienced users. These users most likely have already a great system. There's really no need to fall back on HW accel. when you have a system that can do the job regardless of your video memory.

Of course this is generally speaking. And the reason I'm mentioning this is because I see ATI trying to hail this as such a great addition, when in reality its not really useful for every day use.

Still no support for older Open GL based games. They need to to make the current Open GL file backwards compatible with the old.

@ Guest

Yeah, but I sometimes get occasional stutters when playing really large MKV files on my "second" computer, and it has a 4850, it would be nice to see those eliminated.

I agree this is a positive thing regardless of how powerful your system is.

I thought the same thing until I pulled up a video on my 5870 and saw the improvements with my own eyes. Beautiful!

I find it funny that k lite mega codec pack, has had H.264 acceleration for over a year now.

also it supports the hd3000 series cards. ati is becoming ma joke when they start to limit the use so you have to buy a new card.

if i need to buy a new card it wont be ati.

Back