Catalyst 11.2 brings tessellation controls, MLAA for HD 5000

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD has slipped out February's graphics card update a little earlier than usual. Catalyst 11.2 brings a few bug fixes and performance enhancements, but it seems to be largely focused on adding new features including finalized tessellation controls, which first appeared in last month's 11.1a hotfix.

Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

The new tessellation controls give Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 owners the ability to manually tweak the tessellation level used by specific applications. The HD 5000 series has received morphological anti-aliasing, while the 6000 series can now adjust video quality during Blu-ray 3D playback.

There are also Catalyst AI Filtering updates, including a new method to improve filtering performance without affecting image quality. Over a dozen bugs have been address across Windows 7 and XP, with two causing display corruption issues in HAWX when running in DX9 and Lost Planet in DX10.

Meanwhile, folks running a single Radeon HD 5000 series graphics card can expect a boost of up to 11% in Call of Duty: Black Ops and 4% in Batman Arkham Asylum with anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing enabled for the former and disabled for the latter. You can read the full release notes here.

Permalink to story.

I also saw some improved Rift performance with these drivers... again. Seems I say that after every new Catalyst release.

Over a dozen bugs have been address across Windows 7 and XP

I find it very funny that Nvidia's drivers never have that many at once. So they never get addressed because they don't exist.

Princeton said:

Yah actually I typically do. And most of them are either very minor or they don't have many at all.

I read their release notes for 266.58 and there were at least as many as AMD's diver's. But I have not had an Nvidia card, so for all i know you could be right.

Nibroc said:
Princeton said:

Yah actually I typically do. And most of them are either very minor or they don't have many at all.

I read their release notes for 266.58 and there were at least as many as AMD's diver's. But I have not had an Nvidia card, so for all i know you could be right.

Typically they're lower. Also I do have to give credit to AMD they never have had issues that kill gpus. AKA the nvidia fan software fiasco.

I build gaming systems for a living, and nearly all are SLI/Crossfire. I have no more problems with one over the other. Call it anecdotal evidence if you like, but it's one hell of a lot of anecdotal evidence. So the" red drivers suck, and are way behind of the green drivers" and vice versa is pure fanboyery
it may take Radeon a driver set to catch up to TWMTBP games, but that is about it.... and yes, I just made up a word.

Over a dozen bugs have been address across Windows 7 and XP

I find it very funny that Nvidia's drivers never have that many at once. So they never get addressed because they don't exist.

What rubbish is all I have to say about that comment.

I build gaming systems for a living, and nearly all are SLI/Crossfire. I have no more problems with one over the other. Call it anecdotal evidence if you like, but it's one hell of a lot of anecdotal evidence. So the" red drivers suck, and are way ahead of the green drivers" and vice versa is pure fanboyery
it may take a driver set to catch up....yes I just made up a word.

I agree my experience has been much the same.

I've owned both companies cards over the years and although ATI drivers used to be clunky and unrefined compared to the Nvidia ones there isn't that large gap in quality nowadays. I wouldn't avoid ATI/AMD graphics solutions just because of the driver software.

I just updated my card, I have the new control center but am not seeing tesselation controls or mlaa. I have a 5770

I have asus 5770 and I've got "Morphological filtering" checkbox, but no tesselation group box.

I just installed 11.2, but now I am continuously getting errors whenever I try to run any game/benchmark about atiuxpag.dll or atiadlxy.dll not being compatible with Windows. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers and Catalyst Control Center several times, but no luck. Aren't updates supposed to fix problems? lol

Anyone else having issues with their 5770... I first updated my driver through Steam, so I just uninstalled the Catalyst Control driver from them downloaded and installed it from the AMD website and viola, all controls for the 5770. =)

lncpapa said:
I also saw some improved Rift performance with these drivers... again. Seems I say that after every new Catalyst release.
yes, the new driver is awesome;my fps rose to 75 from 60 at ultra, and when i turn on supersampling, it drops my fps by 20 instead of 30 now :D

I'm the guest with asus 5770, tessellation controls appeared after reboot :]

Back