Catalyst 11.4 drivers bring 15% more speed in Black Ops

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD has received Microsoft's nod of approval for the Catalyst 11.4 preview drivers released last month and the WHQL-certified version is awaiting your download below. Unlike March's official update, the latest build delivers a slew of new features and performance enhancements -- especially for folks running the new Radeon HD 6800 or 6900 series graphics cards. Those products receive the following speed boosts:

• Aliens vs. Predator - gains of up to 8% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
  • Batman Arkham Asylum - gains of up to 20% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
  • Battleforge - gains of up to 15% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single and multiple GPU configurations.
  • Call of Duty Black Ops - gains of up to 15% with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering on single GPU configurations.
  • Civilization 5 - gains of up to 15% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
  • Far Cry 2 - gains of up to 6% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
  • Just Cause 2 - gains of up to 9% on single and multiple GPU configurations.
  • Lost Planet 2 - gains of up to 10% on single and multiple GPU configurations.

Catalyst 11.4 also brings several improvements to the Catalyst Control Center and AMD Vision Engine Control Center, including new task-based Display Management controls that simplify the configuration of displays and related settings, as well as a new feature to set up an Eyefinity group. AMD also added a notification feature that tips users off when a new driver package is released, just as Nvidia did with its latest update.

Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

The fresh Catalyst edition squashes various bugs throughout Windows 7, Vista and XP. Radeon cards no longer show high GPU usage when running Firefox 4 with hardware acceleration enabled on Windows 7. Tearing and other graphical anomalies have been resolved in BioShock, Two Worlds II, Bulletstorm, F1 2010, Crysis Warhead, and the "Heaven" DirectX11 benchmark. Read the full release notes here, or grab your copy above.

Permalink to story.

are they serious this time?? the 100% GPU usage bug has been there since post 10.11 catalyst driver. and it's not just Firefox that triggers it, countless complains (myself included) don't even run firefox and the GPU bug still presents. is this 11.4 for real? because it seems this bug pretty much renders all the drivers after 10.11 useless.

if anyone is encountering this bug, which should be many, please confirm. i am still at work, and won't be able to test this out. seems like someone at the driver Dev team broke the whole damn thing since 10.12 came out. sometimes it amazes me how many things they can break as oppose to fixing it. it's like coming out with a patch to fix the previous patch.

howzz1854 said:
are they serious this time?? the 100% GPU usage bug has been there since post 10.11 catalyst driver. and it's not just Firefox that triggers it, countless complains (myself included) don't even run firefox and the GPU bug still presents. is this 11.4 for real? because it seems this bug pretty much renders all the drivers after 10.11 useless.

if anyone is encountering this bug, which should be many, please confirm. i am still at work, and won't be able to test this out. seems like someone at the driver Dev team broke the whole damn thing since 10.12 came out. sometimes it amazes me how many things they can break as oppose to fixing it. it's like coming out with a patch to fix the previous patch.

A patch to patch the patches patch... dont you use computers?

howzz, I'm sorry... that came off like a real smart ***... but it's just my lame attempt at being humorous.

@howzz1854 i got the same issue for all drivers later than 10.11 installed 11.4 since few hours seems like its fixed

ahmed90 said:
@howzz1854 i got the same issue for all drivers later than 10.11 installed 11.4 since few hours seems like its fixed

this is sounding like a good news. would you mind keeping all of us updated. if it really is fixed, i would really like to put it on my comp. thanks

installed it last night, so far so good. but i'll have to wait a few days to make a judgement call. since my computer at home is on most of the time, shouldn't take long for the bug to creep up, if it's still there. keep you all posted.

It's the first time i've seen a new driver from AMD so well received. Let's hope they continue this trend because they still have a LOT of work to do.

Back