CD Drive help

Status
Not open for further replies.
For awhile now my Cd drive(I don't know the make or model of it) does not always recognize a certain disc(Battlefield 2). If I keep opening and closing my cd tray the computer sometimes recognizes it. When I put this disc in another computer it works perfectly every single time. And every other disc I put in my computer works perfectly. If anybody could help me, that would be great

Have you cleaned it according to proper cleaning practices?

Is it a genuine version or a burned copy?

Yes I have cleaned and I don't see any smudges or scratches on it. And yes it is a genuine version of it.

I don't think that is the problem in the link you gave me, because the cd does work like 1 in 30 tries.

In the administrative tools, what type of errors should I be looking for? Should there be an error every time I try to use the disc? If so, there are no errors.

I also have the same problem with the Battlefield 2 Special Forces disc, so I don't think the disc is damaged in any way.

CCT said:
Have you cleaned it according to proper cleaning practices?

You can also purchase actual CD Drive (itself) cleaning discs (just adding to CCT )
It sounds as though the laser is not picking it up (and possibly dirty)

I thought that wouldn't be the problem, since all the the other discs I put in my computer work without any problems at all.

No it's very common, actually I have the same fault. 1 disc out of hundreds sometimes works.
I know I need a new drive (ie the cleaning disc costs money :) ) may as well invest in a new drive.

You'll see the same problem with written discs

Un-hide your hidden files and protected system files and do a Search for Starforce.

If you have it and have installed burning software it may block the use of the BF2 CD.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Games_that_use_Starforce

edit: I checked mine as above and found nada BUT on a registry check found a number of entries. The drivers are there from earlier game installs but have never bothered me because I don't run any add-on burner software.

But is it the same disc every time?
Yes. Also when I put the same disc into another DVD Drive (on another computer) it starts.

So I know the disc does work
I agree the disc is slightly marked (and is also a written disc)
I have cleaned it fully (not the drive though)
I know I need another Drive

And so do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back