CD-RW drive will no longer burn CDs. Why?

I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop and the CD-RW drive will no longer burn CD's. I've had this problem before but only two months ago I was able to successfully burn an audio CD and now I can't again! So frustrating!

Anyway, what happens is I put the blank CD in the drive and then use iTunes to try and burn the CD. iTunes recognizes the blank CD and begins the burning process. After the CD is supposedly burned, iTunes will then say that a blank CD has been inserted! Despite saying the CD is burned nothing has happened! I've already wasted a couple CD's doing this so I'm a bit frustrated now!

Any idea why this would happen? I'm not sure of the brand of the drive expect that in the device manager it is called "tsst corp ts l632d ata". Any help would be great! Thanks!

cd drives can and DO burn out. fortunately they're cheap. replace it

any compatible drive will work.

I too think that your drive is faulty. The write laser is probably toast or near toast. I'm a little confused on how you wasted cds though if nothing gets written to them.

Like Tedster said though, drives are super cheap. I'd replace it with a 16x dvd burner for about $20.

Back