Censorship trend

benken2202001

Lately I've been noticing a poor trend on TechSpot where comments on articles are being deleted or "censored." From what I've gathered, most deletions are due to the ToS found at https://www.techspot.com/terms.html
Are there any other reasons for which posts will be removed? Is it per the author's discretion? For example; a comment reflects badly upon the author, so he/she removes it.

Oftentimes I post as a Guest due to the nature of my work, perhaps that was the issue?

As far as I'm concerned we only remove spammy or duplicate messages. Can you give more precise examples?

Just my short input...I frequently see flaming attacks that are censored, yes. But, usually, none of us with moderation powers end up deleting random comments (I double-check all the deleted comments, sometimes). Most of the time, if anything, they are just edited to remove potential argumentative situations (like sexual-based humor, libelous attacks, copyright/plagiarizing content, etc.).

Keep in mind the following in the ToS:

Moderators are entitled to make good use of their judgment in moderation. Furthermore, moderators are forum authorities and should be treated with respect. They are all voluntary helpers within the community.

I usually run through a bit to look for spam that might not have been caught, such as the sneaky pie21 spammers. I also look for flamers, but otherwise, the responsibility lies on the moderators. We don't have a flame filter, so we've to deal with that.

Maybe take note of when you see it happen next time and post back here, because I agree with Julio and Jay that I haven't seen this happening.

Like Jay, I also like to check deleted comments (mods can see a comment has been deleted, and click on it to view what it said before deletion) out of curiosity and also simply to 'double-check' that there is no personal vendetta in play. Self-policing if you will. Also, I will note that this, afaik is not a stated policy that mods do that, but Jay and I both have said we do that anyway, I suspect other mods do as well then.

Please, tell me why my guide about making internal and external speakers in laptop work together using ASIO was deleted. I've put a bit of work into that. If it cannot be restored, please send me a copy of it by any means.

It was in the "Audio and Video" section of the forum.

Yes, I used the "Search" feature, and no, nobody has come up with a solution like mine. The usual response was "It's impossible".

You're not really encouraging new users to participate by politics like this.

Back