Changing boot drive in a dual OS boot setup

gott1rott

Ill try to explain this as best I can. I have 2 Windows OS installed on 2 different hard drives in my pc and get the option for choose which OS I want to boot when I turn on my pc. Drive 1 is the first drive I installed an OS on and drive 2 the second. I'm pretty sure drive 1 is dying so my question is, is drive 2's OS boot linked to drive 1 and if so, is there a way to boot from drive 2 instead of drive 1? What I am afraid of is drive 1 failing completely and then not being able to boot into Windows on drive 2.

First question: Yes.

Second question: yes

3rd question/point: Yes, valid concern. What will happen is you remove (or drive 1 dies completely) and you won't be able to boot into the OS on drive 2. BUT, if we are talking about Windows, which I think we are, you can boot into a recovery mode and fix it. Its usually a fixmbr command, and I've done it so few times I don't remember the details. What Windows OS are we talking about (because I think it matters on how you get to the fixmbr moment). Tell us that and we can help you.

Ok. What you want to do is boot from the 7 install disk and choose "repair your computer".

Then that will give you a few options, you want to go to command prompt.

Then you want to type this: bootrec.exe /FixMbr

That should do it, remove the disk and reboot. (you can just press reset or hold down the power button).

Back