Changing from WEP to WPA

circusboy01

I'm using windows 7 I'm connected to my Verizon router with a Netgear stick. I have it set up for WEP because that was the easiest to figure out. But neighbors are stealing my signal, and slowing me down.
How do I change from WEP to WPA? Simple instructions please Thanks

Do you have both, a device and a wireless access point that supports WPA? WPA2 is what you want for the best protection. Before you can setup WEP/WPA/WPA2, you must have both reciever and transmitter that supports the encryption.

1. Setup the encryption from within your wireless access point. It could be an independent access point or a combo unit such as a wireless router.
  2. Connect the device that support the encryption of the wireless network.

Do you have both, a device and a wireless access point that supports WPA? WPA2 is what you want for the best protection. Before you can setup WEP/WPA/WPA2, you must have both reciever and transmitter that supports the encryption.

1. Setup the encryption from within your wireless access point. It could be an independent access point or a combo unit such as a wireless router.
  2. Connect the device that support the encryption of the wireless network.
The receiver would be the Netgear WNA 1100 Smart Wizard (the stick) that is plugged into my computer. Right? It can be configured for WEP or WPA I just don't know how to set it up for WPA.
transmitter would be the Verizon router. Right? I'm sure it must be set up for Wpa as well as WEP.

• Setup the encryption from within your wireless access point. It could be an independent access point or a combo unit such as a wireless router.
  • Connect the device that support the encryption of the wireless network. Sorry I don't really understand what you are saying here. Remember I asked for simple instructions. ;0)

So you're saying just changing the Netgear stick from WEP to WPA wont do it? Not sure if the stick has a WPA2 setting

Another question There are two of us hooked up wireless to the router. The other is a lap top so she doesn't need a stick. Everything is built into the computer. If I figure out how to change to WPA, or WPA2 will she have to change too, or can she stay with WEP ?
I guess what I'm asking is can a router put out WEP, and WPA signals at the same time?

Once again thanks in advance.

No, change the network security on the router (verizon router). Then, delete the saved networks on Netgear stick and laptop, and connect to wifi again.

Make sure you change the password to wifi at the same time as changing to WPA2.

Don't know how to log into your router? Find your 'default gateway', then type that IP address into browser, then log in.

They are technically both bi-directional (Tx & Rx). Doesn't matter whether you are uploading or downloading, there is still bi-directional communication. The most common is error checking for faulty data that needs to be resent. I was using an example that receiving must be able to decrypt, the encryption of the transmission.

Stick is correct about changing the encryption and password of a network. You need to login to the router control panel that can usually be accessed through your browser once you know your Default Gateway IP.

Any changes to your connection would force all devices to reconnect. I was using step 2 as a second and final step in your quest.

Try this IP - my source
If that doesn't work try these

Just want everyone to know that I haven't just left this thread hanging. Having a hard time finding a time that the other computer owner, in the house, and I can get together. What evr ,if anything has to be done to her laptop to make the changes I want her to do. With my lack of knowledge I don't want to mess with someone else's computer.

Looks like the thread wont be hanging after all. Thanks to JC713 I have step by step instructions on how to change my router from WEP to WPA2 Which means it shouldn't take much to convince my landlord/friend to make the changes.

Last edited:
Back