Changing IP for multilayer app and website

darkty

Hey once again, So there is this server on this application called SAMP [San andreas multiplayer] and everytime you log on it logs your IP. This goes for the site aswel. I need to do something and change my IP. So lets say someone gets banned. [IP BAN] They can access it by changing there IP. So if you guys can tell me how to change my IP so I can do some things for something. Please let me know.

Tyler

You normally cannot change your IP that's assigned from your ISP. They may change it every few months or never in some cases.

You normally cannot change your IP that's assigned from your ISP. They may change it every few months or never in some cases.

JMMD is right. It's totally up to your ISP if and when they want to change your IP.

That said, however, there's a trick i found that will sometimes work (it depends on your ISP)

Disconnect/Power off your cable/DSL modem overnight (or at least try for several hours). Since your IP address is shared, your ISP may think you've shutdown/gone offline for awhile and they will reassign it to someone else. (Remember, that non-static IPs are pooled, so ISP's reuse them for others)

So, power down cable/dsl modem in the evening, power up it on again in the morning. I've sometimes been able to get new IPs that way.

G;luck and let us know if that works! :)

DSL your IP changes but not on Cable it's always the same. Unless you want to use Proxy IP but you'll need a very fast PC and internet connection. They tend to be slow the PIP.

DSL your IP changes but not on Cable it's always the same. Unless you want to use Proxy IP but you'll need a very fast PC and internet connection. They tend to be slow the PIP.

@tipstir
1. I'm on RCN cable (not DSL)
2. I've managed to change my dynamic IP on a couple occasions using my tip in my last post

It's been quite awhile since the last time i tried it but this trick is certainly worth a shot...

(And if you think about it.. since dynamic IP addresses are shared and recycled it's also consistent with the logic that your provider may take away your IP and give it to someone else if they see your cable modem offline long enough so it appears you don't need to retain an IP (so they reassign it). If and when they see your cable modem come back online they'll assign you a new IP that happens to be available. :) )

So if I do that and get a new IP, I can not be traced back. For Ex: When you log in ur IP logs. But if I make a new account and have a different IP, Is there anyway they will know it's me? I will also definitely try the trick.

So if I do that and get a new IP, I can not be traced back. For Ex: When you log in ur IP logs. But if I make a new account and have a different IP, Is there anyway they will know it's me? I will also definitely try the trick.

This trick might get your dynamic IP address changed. But as far as them identifying you? it's likely they also have cookies and/or other hidden data on your HD. So can't predict if a change in IP alone is sufficient

Wouldn't it also depend on how complete the ban was?
(One specific IP or a range)
By the way... I agree with jobeard's next post!
===added clarification===
Frankly imo, the need to not be seen or traced is very suspicious

Unless a new user attaches between the time you disconnect from the ISP until you reconnect, you will just have waited X hours only to retrieve the same ip address.

Frankly imo, the need to not be seen or traced is very suspicious

Unless a new user attaches between the time you disconnect from the ISP until you reconnect, you will just have waited X hours only to retrieve the same ip address.
[/COLOR]

Umm...

Gee, you want to toss out assumptions and hypotheticals or discuss fact? i just posted i've done this twice before!. So how remote a chance is that? And oh. So i just did a quick google and lookey at what i found WhatIsMyIPAddress.com also posts for advice
Before trying any other methods to change your IP address, try turning off (or unplugging the power of) your Cable/DSL modem for five minutes. In many cases this will change your IP address. However, if that does not change your IP address, repeat the process for 8 hours (overnight works well) instead of 5 minutes. Hopefully this will result in an IP change.

And, btw, in both of my cases i had happened to shut off my cable modem when i went to bed and turned it on the morning and Voila! a new IP :rolleyes:

as an aside.. i also doubt ISP's grab an idle IP at the last second from someone else, on demand when needed for someone new (i.e. "someone happens to logon so you lose yours" vs. keeping a pool of them available and, more likely and consistent per above, they more likely simply release them when they think they aren't needed or being used ('cuz your offline) :)

/* edit */
Remember, ISP's make more money by POOLING and SHARING a fixed number of dynamic IPs among many users. That's why they will charge more if you want a STATIC IP :)

And apparently the Timewarner Link I use doesn't get many new clients as I've only been able to get a new IP after returnning from 6-weeks of vacation; over night is not long enough.

1 success in 10-12 tries is a low probablity game in my book. If it were 1 in 2, then this might be a viable approach.

And apparently the Timewarner Link I use doesn't get many new clients as I've only been able to get a new IP after returnning from 6-weeks of vacation; over night is not long enough.

1 success in 10-12 tries is a low probablity game in my book. If it were 1 in 2, then this might be a viable approach.

"Of all the gin joints in all the world"
you base your world-wide and generalized "1 success in 10-12 tries" statistic based on your singular experience with Time Warner? ;)

Let's see, my RCN cable experience was 2 success out of 2 tries... Doesn't your same logic then say there's a 50/50 chance based on one's ISP? Do we have any idea where the OP is living? Or who their ISP is? But regardless of high to low probability turning off one's cable modem at bed time and back on in the morning, does trying it sound like rocket science? or too laborious to make it worth giving it a shot???

In any case, i appreciate your seemingly steadfast and opposing view.. but i'm pretty much done with the topic. The "simple" excercise is pretty much left at the choice of the reader

In any case, i appreciate your seemingly steadfast and opposing view.. but i'm pretty much done with the topic. The "simple" excercise is pretty much left at the choice of the reader
WONDERFUL :wave:

@LookinAround
You and I differ frequently, but imo, a) debate is healthy, b) there's more than one approach, c) only the reader can evaluate the effectiveness and utility of any comment. I appreciate you inputs and wish you could appreciate other viewpoints too.

Back to my comment, above...

Even if successfully changing one's IP in this way, it would not necessarily get around a "ban".

The new IP is still issued by the same ISP, and a "ban" may include a range of IPs, including all allocated to that ISP.
(At least that is my understanding.)

So, from this angle also, it COULD be an exercise in futility.
Back to a variation on the observation: YMMV ("Your mileage may vary").

And, I still agree with jobeard on "suspicious activity".
Someone trying to get around a ban in this way is likely to repeat the behavior that got them banned initially.
Then the admin at the site will just extend the ban.

@jobeard
I’ve been travelling and cyber-disconnected. I'm now back home and wanted to take a moment to reply
@LookinAround
You and I differ frequently, but imo, a) debate is healthy, b) there's more than one approach, c) only the reader can evaluate the effectiveness and utility of any comment. I appreciate you inputs and wish you could appreciate other viewpoints too.

IMO: You blur the line between
> Differences of opinion on taking an approach VS.
> Debate of technical fact

As examples / "cases-in-point": We once had a difference of opinion on the merits of file/folder backups vs. disk imaging. Those were different opinions on approach

But when the exchange is something akin to
  • I post that I’ve already travelled around the world. Twice.
  • And you essentially reply: Don’t bother. From what I can see from my singular experience with Time-Warner cable, the world is flat

Is that a difference on approach??? :confused:

As you do, I also enjoy a healthy debate (I used to be on the debate team in both high school and college :) ) This is where I also learned to
> Try and address things point-by-point as well as
> Try to provide credible and supporting evidence/documentation when I can (as I also did in this case referring to a well known site about IP addresses which also endorsed my findings and approach)

In any case, I do like your input and look forward to further exchanges of both our opinions and debate on technical detail and fact :)

Back