Charlie sets a trap... in so many words

What you meant was, Charlie says in...soooooo, very, very, very, many words.

We used to get spill over trolls here from time to time. Charlie says..blah, blah, blah, then they'd expect a rebuttal.

My own feeling is, "how mediocre does a website have to be, to copy off that clown"?

BTW, how did you like my, "Frank Lloyd Reich....stag" pun?

Would you believe single entendre?

What you meant was, Charlie says in...soooooo, very, very, very, many words.

Tru dat homey!:p I thought my thread title was a double entendre....I guess it didn't quite work out.:(

We used to get spill over trolls here from time to time. Charlie says..blah, blah, blah, then they'd expect a rebuttal.

My own feeling is, "how mediocre does a website have to be, to copy off that clown"?

Right, there was more than one comment that said ' who the hell is KitGuru, in one form or another. I quite have a bit of fun following Charlie's trials a tribulations. He is well connected and gets the inside track on some things, but it seems to go sideways on him a lot.
BTW, how did you like my, "Frank Lloyd Reich....stag" pun?

I didn't think much of it.....cuz I didn't think of it .:p:haha:

Somebody should explain to Charlie the accomplishment status of besting a fool. Maybe he'll ramp his BS down to mere gale force.

I didn't think much of it.....cuz I didn't think of it .:p:haha:
I knew there was something that I liked about you! You're as shallow and superficial as I am.....:rolleyes:

He is well connected...
Damn right. A veritable superhighway from a*shole to brain stem.
and gets the inside track on some things, but it seems to go sideways on him a lot.
Used to get the inside track...I think he's been busy burning bridges over perceived personal injustices for a while. Most of his other scoops were purely disgruntled workers at nVidia, Intel etc. that were happy to put the boot into their companys. I don't think he gets that many of them these days either -he may have had a ringer or two feeding him false "scoops", hence the number of off base/complete bs articles of late ( Intel finFET's on cache only, Nvidia "don't have a leg to stand on" in regard their suit vs. Intel (see posts #26, 28, 38 and 57...not bad, only out by $ 1.5 billion dollars) the whole GF110/104/114 die size/architecture daydream, the bs Llano PR etc. My favourite is Charlie's "EXCLUSIVE!" that the Oak Ridge National Laboratory canned Nvidia's involvement in their supercomputer project...part of this project in fact. Of course upon hearing that Chas's article was pure fiction, the SA militia then turned out in force to say that supercomputers don't have any real world uses, waste of time etc... Pity they don't find the fact that Oak Ridge and it's computers are home to the worlds premier forensic laboratories ( inc the "body farm"). Obviously solving domestic crime and gathering war crimes evidence doesn't rate alongside playing Cr......no I won't go there.

Damn right. A veritable superhighway from a*shole to brain stem.
:haha:
Hey! maybe Hypertransport was his idea!

He is interesting to watch (read) it seems the guy has ..or as you point out "had" many sources, moles, friends. You can see that he obviously is privy to many stories first, but then when he takes it and runs with it, it's like a shotgun with the choke removed. He could be a premiere on the net, if he would stick to architecture and stop making everything personal, and doing the 'Fermi is unfixable' thing'.
Just one guy's opinion.
Obviously solving domestic crime and gathering war crimes evidence doesn't rate alongside playing Cr......no I won't go there.

Oh bless you!:haha:

He is interesting to watch (read) it seems the guy has ..or as you point out "had" many sources, moles, friends. You can see that he obviously is privy to many stories first, but then when he takes it and runs with it, it's like a shotgun with the choke removed.
The problem is that he has garnered some kind of rep as a go-to guy for insider gossip/news, and uses his fame/notoriety as a vehicle for his own prejudice, hate, and probably- financial gain.
He's not a journalist -at least not any kind of good one. If he were then he'd be able to balance his lack of objectivity against a larger volume of work. Unfortunately, Charlie has a small and single-minded mentality- it becomes either an all-out assault of facts, innuendo, half-truths and supposition, or maximum PR spin- depending on who is the subject matter.
A case in point would be AMD's present managerial Marie Celeste. How many articles would have been spawned if Nvidia (or lately, Intel) had their CEO walk the plank...and couldn't find anyone to take the job, along with their well regarded platform strategies guy Jeff VerHuel, pro graphics exec, the VP of corporate strategy and their chief operations officer walking off into the sunset?

I'm putting the over/under at 2.5 articles per week.

I will take the over and $50.
Too bad as well. He is correct about a lot of things technical. When a product makes it to market, and all the details are known, I often remember reading something CD wrote months earlier. It usually has to do with branch prediction efficiency or some such thing. The problem is with all of the vendetta thrown in there, you never know if you can buy it or not, and renders his 'previews' useless.

I will take the over and $50.
Too bad as well. He is correct about a lot of things technical.
Aye.
So are a lot of other people, they just aren't that much into self promotion.
Read the white papers, follow the research at a more technical level than the mainstream sites, and a lot of revelatory stuff is just sitting around waiting for people to read. A lot of Charlie's articles are just the same information condensed, shorn of a lot of the jargon, and the appropriate spin added- but you will find most of this stuff in a more neutral setting at semi.org and the IEEE site (as examples), add in various tech forums* (Beyond 3D etc.) where industry people post for a wider feel for the technology involved, timelines, theory versus practice etc.

*I'd include SA here, but the actual posts from genuine tech insiders are abysmally small. The bulk of the posts are from around a couple of dozen people- half of which are Charlie's cheerleading squad...this was the case when I was a forum member there. A quick reconnaissance reveals that nothing seems to have changed.

I am going to level with you here: I know amazingly little about this Charlie Demerjian fellow. I tried to read the article linked in the original post and I immediately felt nauseous. In the article, i was put off by the vapid request to "trust us" (SA) and continue reading what was sure to be a sickening journey into the placid mind of some burnt out journalist/techie having an overly repetitive crisis of mind in the face of, what may very well be, the hallucinatory effects caused by the glare of a computer monitor.

When I got to the second paragraph and spotted the mention of "deep deep trouble" as a result of plagiarism, I gagged a bit, perhaps even a smidgen beyond (Mexican food mingled with what was a frozen pizza, if you must know). I'll cut the church talk and arrive at a point:

My immediate impulse upon reading this Charlie person's article was to regurgitate. Upon reading more I found myself unable to focus, distracted, anxious, and with a slight headache throbbing outward from deep within my anterior lobe, oddly enough. ...Hell, I think my entire cerebellum is suffering for it. I think I hate Charlie, and hate is a powerful emotion usually evocative of some longstanding struggle with a single entity or idea.

... Now my back hurts. I'll finish with a quote before i evacuate my bowels, which Charlie has irritated.

"Politicians are not trained to solve problems; technicians are trained to solve problems."
— Jacques Fresco

Maybe your friend dear Charlie leans the wrong direction.

Yea,
Pretty unfortunate, as Charlie can- and has, bought some good insight into the mainstream tech community. It's just a pity that the man's ego, petty vindictiveness and lack of objectivity tends to obscure the information. For every "bumpgate" (Charlie's watershed moment bringing to light Nvidia's solder underfill problems), there's Charlie's unrestrained joy in reporting a murder-suicide (the comments below the article pretty much show the polarizing effect Mr Demerjian has within the mainstream tech forums).

Back