ChatGPT adds 100 million users in two months, making it the fastest-growing "app" ever

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The recent rise in popularity of ChatGPT has been meteoric, to say the least. According to new analysis, the AI platform in January reached 100 million users following its launch on November 30, which makes it the fastest-growing consumer app in history, though the chatbot itself doesn't believe it should be classed as an app.

According to analysis by Swiss bank UBS, the speed at which ChatGPT has added 100 million users makes it the fastest-growing consumer app in history— more than one million people were using the site within five days of its launch. Reuters notes that this puts it ahead of TikTok, which took nine months to reach 100 million users. Instagram, meanwhile, took two and half years to hit the same figure.

However, when ZDNet asked ChatGPT if it really was the fastest-growing app in history, it replied: "No, OpenAI's GPT-3 language model, which powers ChatGPT, is not an app, it's a machine learning model designed to generate human-like text based on the input provided to it. GPT-3 has been widely recognized as one of the largest and most advanced language models to date, but it's not an app and hasn't been measured in terms of user growth."

ChatGPT's popularity means accessing the platform isn't easy; it's usually at maximum capacity and offers to notify people when there's space. That could change following the launch of a $20-per-month subscription option, called ChatGPT Plus, which offers priority access at peak periods, faster response times, more stability, and priority access to new features and improvements. The tier is now available in the US, though there is a waitlist for those who want to sign up.

ChatGPT is making plenty of headlines right now. Yesterday brought news that Microsoft, which has integrated several AI services into its Azure cloud platform and is investing an additional $10 billion into creator OpenAI, will be integrating the company's GPT-4 language model, a faster version of the machine learning model currently used by ChatGPT, into search engine Bing.

The sudden popularity of generative AIs has give rise to concerns that students could use them to cheat. It's led to OpenAI creating an AI classifier designed to identify whether text was written by a human or created by an artificial intelligence "from a variety of providers," including ChatGPT. Unfortunately, the classifier in its current beta version isn't very good at its job.

Masthead: SteamXO

Permalink to story.

"The sudden popularity of generative AIs has give rise to concerns that students could use them to cheat."

Enabling laziness and dishonesty is the only reason people even care about this technology. We've fallen so far that now everyone wants their opinion handed to them the same way they want everything else for free. We're already seeing how the inherent political bias of Big Tech is reflected in ChatGPT's output. I'm sure nothing bad will come of that.

"The sudden popularity of generative AIs has give rise to concerns that students could use them to cheat."

Enabling laziness and dishonesty is the only reason people even care about this technology. We've fallen so far that now everyone wants their opinion handed to them the same way they want everything else for free. We're already seeing how the inherent political bias of Big Tech is reflected in ChatGPT's output. I'm sure nothing bad will come of that.

I'd say Google is similarly politically biased as when you ask Google the "negatives to getting the vaccine" Google just gives results asserting that the vaccine is perfectly safe.

But ChatGPT is a better version of Google sooooo.

I'd say Google is similarly politically biased as when you ask Google the "negatives to getting the vaccine" Google just gives results asserting that the vaccine is perfectly safe.

But ChatGPT is a better version of Google sooooo.

Unless you are generically inferior or by your own hand in poor health the jab is fine

Unless you are generically inferior or by your own hand in poor health the jab is fine
Let's look at a country that didn't financially incentivize their hospitals to label everything 'covid.'

Australia 'covid' deaths in 2020: 947
Australia 'covid' deaths in 2021: 1,392
Australia 'covid' deaths in 2022: 14,690

Australia 'covid' deaths in the first 30 days of 2023: 1,666

Australia on track to break a new 'covid' death record this year.

*These deaths don't include coincidental deaths like those from exercising, playing video games, drinking tea, shoveling snow, gardening, climate change, or falling asleep with the television on.

Yup, the jab is fine. 🙈

Edit: On topic edit.

ChatGPT would be great if they left out all political bias. While I don't care for any political party, you can test out ChatGPT's bias pretty easily. Ask it to list positive attributes of Joe Biden, it will. Then ask it to list positive attributes of Donald Trump, it'll tell you that it doesn't get political.

Last edited:
ChatGPT would be great if they left out all political bias. While I don't care for any political party, you can test out ChatGPT's bias pretty easily. Ask it to list positive attributes of Joe Biden, it will. Then ask it to list positive attributes of Donald Trump, it'll tell you that it doesn't get political.

Wrong century. In this century everything is politics.
- You're watching a movie, the script has been modified and censored to avoid hurting certain people. Or modified to deliberately hurt others, who are against the modern propaganda.
- Series? Even worse. Nowadays series are the main tool to push certain agendas.
- Documentaries? Many of them infected with propaganda. They get money if they include it.
- Music? Your roots are more important than your songs.
- Sports? Some sportsmen/women get rewarded for political reasons, while others get punished because of their political views or because of politics in their country.
- Art? You wanna be a successful artist? Put some propaganda in your work.
- Science? Top scientists are only allowed to research preapproved topics. If you try to break any dogma, you lose financing.
- Gaming? Ha. What a question. Try making a game with a main character that is not compatible with modern propaganda.

Very true.
But the same can be said for not having the jab. Unfortunately, Google stacks the information to suit one side of the argument. In the UK, you can delve into the data on the ONS website to see most fit and healthy people are perfectly safe from COVID irrespective of vaccination status (although safer if vaccinated, it's still not a significant risk for most). Their data also shows the jabs are perfectly fine to have except in some very rare instances.
AI can surely be "trained" to omit certain information from it's decision making, making it's "facts" no more reliable than what we have now. But because it's AI, people will assume it's being fed ALL the data to form it's "opinions", so it won't have any bias, which has already been proven is untrue.

Last edited:
It's here and institutions are just going to have to learn to live with it.

I just used ChatGPT to write a VBA macro for me. I'm terrible at coding and it would have taken me a good few weeks to do myself. It took me half an hour to have it fully working. Am I incredibly lazy for doing so? Yes, but I wouldn't have bothered if a LLM hadn't been available to do it for me.

Stick to the news topic, please.

I've noticed on controversial topics that Techspot is getting some somewhat extreme and often unfounded views posted. You do tend to lock the topics, but you do leave the comments up.

We just need to eliminate lazy people and the world will be a better place and energy, money will be invested in really useful things and real progress.

It's only 5-6 billion people, I vote yes.

Stuff like this is what kills it for me. Either make it totally impartial or totally open to all sides, not so obviously bias. I've heard its the same with jokes about males and females too; happy to roast the blokes but claims it's not nice to make fun of women or something...yeah no thanks.

Back