1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Check out these internet speeds and prices from multiple countries

By midian182 · 32 replies
Feb 20, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. British price comparison service Compare the Market created this table showing the average cost, download speed, and upload speed for internet users in countries around the world. Sitting at the top spot is Singapore, which has average 185.25 Mbps downloads and 192.08 Mbps uploads.

The rest of the top five is made up of Iceland (153.3 Mbps download/155.46 Mbps upload), South Korea (114.31/90.2), Hungary (108.78/44.44) and the US (107.28/37.11). Assuming the data is accurate, it shows US internet speeds are continuing to improve.

For those who complain about how long it takes to download a 50GB game from Steam, spare a thought for those in Brunei, whose average download speed is 15.15 Mbps.

When it comes to cost, the United Arab Emirates is the most expensive country in the world for accessing the internet, with an average monthly price of around $161 for an average download speeds of 38.16 Mbps. The table has Israel as the cheapest ($13.42), but other sites put the figure between the $25 - $30 mark. The average monthly US price, meanwhile, is $69.73.

To give an idea of what these speeds represent, the chart also shows how long it would take to download one hour of Netflix. In Singapore, it’s 16 seconds, while it takes 3 minutes and 18 seconds in Brunei.

Compare the Market didn’t include details of how it carried out the research or came up with these figures, but it’s worth remembering that they are averages—some people living in rural areas likely don’t get anywhere near their country’s listed speeds.

Image credit: spainter_vfx via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

2. R00sT3R

R00sT3R TS Maniac Posts: 125   +244

I really don't see the point of these 'averages' they mean very little in reality.

According to that my country (UK) has an average speed of 55Mbit, yet here I am with a 350Mbit Virgin fibre connection, nearly twice the speed of the top placed country on that list.

Also, the US has a real problem with maximum monthly data use internet access whereas the UK has almost universal unlimited data connections.

Seems to me they've just averaged out the connection speed of each country's largest internet provider..which can heavily skew the reality.

BMAN61, emmzo and Fuksito like this.
  3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,869   +3,311

They seem to leave off many of the more famous countries, some of which have 1T speeds for prices equal or less than the US and many of these have had those speeds for over two decades because they installed fiber from the offset. Those that are too young to remember, all the TELCO's promised Congress the same thing in order to get right of ways and yet they have not delivered and Congress has failed to hold them accountable ..... lets see a more complete survey, please.

syrious01, xxLCxx and wiyosaya like this.
  4. dirtyferret

dirtyferret TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +519

...steam (or any other game service) don't download at 100mbps. You have so many upstream variables including what server you are downloading from and how many other people are also downloading from it.

5. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Guru Posts: 350   +411

I assume these results include Business class service, which makes me feel slightly better about my 10mbps home upload speed.

6. Versutus

Versutus TS Enthusiast Posts: 51   +26

Here, in Hungary, I have an unlimited gigabit connection up and down (with TV) for like 11 USD right now.

OutlawCecil likes this.
  7. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,426   +1,824

This is probably propaganda instigated by Ajit Pai to make it look like he is doing something in the US. :scream::mad:

Athlonite, BMAN61, toooooot and 3 others like this.
  8. ckm88

ckm88 TS Enthusiast Posts: 62   +37

Speeds are going up but so are prices.

9. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,087   +1,504

That table is too high-level for me. I need more of the raw data.

10. syrious01

syrious01 TS Rookie

Why is it okay for the US to have piss poor upload speed?

Jeff Re likes this.
  11. Clamyboy74

Clamyboy74 TS Member Posts: 19   +14

Medians, min and max, or top 75%, 50%, 25% would be much better metrics in this case than average.

12. Docus

Docus TS Enthusiast Posts: 25   +12

Because our elected politicians are more concerned with pleasing their corporate donors than their voters?

wiyosaya likes this.
  13. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Maniac Posts: 292   +124

I live in Madrid, Spain.

600Mbps/600Mbps optical fiber Internet access for 30 euros per month ($26.40/mo.)

So for that Netflix thing it would be 5 seconds

Can't complain :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Toju Mikie likes this.
  14. mctommy

mctommy TS Addict Posts: 276   +59

Although I hate Comcast, their monthly limit is 1TB... so unless you download a lot of Pr0n... that's plenty sufficient.

I have 150Mbit down for about $80USD

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,435   +1,204

I live right next to High Wycombe currently and I'm unable to get anything more than 38Mbit down and 6Mbit up...

16. RedGuard

RedGuard TS Enthusiast Posts: 65   +31

Nobody? Ok, here I go:

Romania! 1 Gbps! The best! The cheapest! RDS! RDS!

emmzo likes this.
  17. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Maniac Posts: 292   +124

My ISP in Spain is DIGI which is from Romania :D

18. moobg

moobg TS Rookie

No. It isn't. I stream a fair amount of content, including 4K content, and, along with a couple game downloads, my usage over the past month is 820GB. It doesn't take a lot to reach that 1TB barrier, especially as more content is moved online (and the size of that content/amount of bandwidth used is only increasing). Also, we've already seen a fair number of cases where Comcast's own bandwidth monitor is questionable at best, so you could go over that cap and it wouldn't even be your fault.

Bandwidth caps of any kind are inane and serve no real purpose aside from price-gouging customers.

As an aside, I'd also like to know how this group got these numbers...I'm paying $65 for 100/10 with Charter, and there's no competition here. I have no alternative. =\

19. ShObiT

ShObiT TS Maniac Posts: 155   +158

Meanwhile I pay US$40 for 10mb down/1.5mb up. I don't even know if we can be considered 5th world in Internet Speed.

Edit: No Cap, they are ripping us apart with the price, no need to push it.

20. mctommy

mctommy TS Addict Posts: 276   +59

It depends on where you live... it's really a duopoly or monopoly: either you have DSL or Cable. For my area, my only other option is CenturyLink but their max speed is 10Mbps for $30/month.

21. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 661   +317

Because we don't like to share -_-

22. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 3,526   +2,838

wiyosaya likes this.
  23. Alex1105

Alex1105 TS Rookie

While in Romania we have true 300mbps at ~6 euros and true 940mbps at 8,5 euros. And the upload speed is around half the download.
    And yet, the country is so poor and filled with taxes that if you are not carefull, somebody will even snatch the used toilet paper right from under you.
    Almost half of our damn salary is taken by the state, over half of our roads have more holes than a 1500 years old roman stone road; and you can't get most jobs without a pile of cash to bribe the one in charge, not to mention that you must be affiliated to the currently ruling party.

Another f-ing day in paradise.

Toju Mikie likes this.
  24. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,426   +1,824

Unfortunately, the pace of speed increases is not keeping up with the pace of price increases, IMO.

ckm88 likes this.
  25. Raytrace3D

Raytrace3D TS Booster Posts: 84   +76

Ah yes, I enjoy my massive (25 Mbps) "high-speed" connection for $109 US a month thanks to literally zero competition and interest by the communications companies to expand out to rural areas.

ckm88 likes this.