Checking if hardware is faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new to Techspot. I was recently involved in a rear end car crash. Sadly my computer was in the trunk and the whole backend of the car was pretty smashed in =/ my computer ended up traveling from the trunk of the car to halfway on top of the back seat =(.
The computer looks to be mostly in tact, the only things that have been affected is the ram fan that was shaken loose and the cd rom which completely does not work.

The case is completely intact no dents or scratches.

I have noticed however that my computer has alot more trouble processing regular tasks, like opening my computer, downloading and installing files from the internet, and opening warcraft 3( bluescreens when I play for more then 20 min).

System specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Mainboard:EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: PNY XLR8 VCG98GTXXPB GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Ram: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB

I was wondering if there was anyway I could possibly check if all the hardware is still intact . =) thank you for your time.

Wouldn't hurt to reseat your RAM and vid card, and any other plug in cards. The heatsink may have came loose on your CPU or graphics card causing them to get hotter than normal, which may be a cause for a blue screen. I've never reseated a graphics card heatsink, but its probably less of a pita than a CPU one. Just remember if you reseat you are going to need to clean off the existing paste and reapply before seating it again.

=) thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try, although >< I'll have to find a place that sells that heatsink gooo before trying to remove it ><.

Radioshack will do in a pinch, I actually used their stuff on a non overclocked C2D E4400 a while back and didn't have any problem. If that fixes your issue you can always clean and replace with better paste later.

Also you may be able to avoid that by just running something that monitors your CPU and GPU temps. Either run on a second monitor if you have duals, or hope the program logs the data. Speedfan might be able to log for CPU, I'm not sure. And I think GPUz will log your graphics card's temp.

your household/renters insurance should cover the damage and your auto policy may also.
may be better just to salvage the data and get a new computer. That one may never work right again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back