Chinese scientists just cloned monkeys for the first time

Polycount

Staff

Humanity has faced quite a few ethical dilemmas throughout its time here on Earth. With the rate at which technology is advancing, we could be set to face an entirely new set of moral challenges in the coming years.

One of those challenges is the concept of cloning. Though the technology behind it hasn't quite seen the level of rapid advancement AI has, scientists have reached a number of notable milestones over the years.

Researchers have managed to clone sheep, dogs and other mammals of various sizes and shapes. That said, primates have proven to be a particularly difficult species to clone due to the fundamental differences between them and other mammals.

However, that barrier has finally been overcome in the form of two adorable, cloned female baby Macaques. The monkeys, named Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua, were created after scientists managed to remove the nuclei from monkey eggs and replaced them with DNA extracted from a monkey fetus.

This process was no cakewalk, though. AP News says it took scientists 127 eggs and 79 embryos to achieve these results.

One of the researchers who performed the marvel, Muming Poo of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, said the accomplishment proves the cloning of humans is "theoretically possible" but not something he and his team would ever attempt on ethical -- and eventually legal -- grounds. Instead, Poo says scientists can now attempt to create identical monkeys for use in human medical research.

Permalink to story.

There are only two possible reasons to pursue human cloning and their explored in several sci-fi movies including The Island and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. There are so many dangers involved with cloning that I would scarcely know where to begin. We can only hope that even the unscrupulous, non-democratic nations are smart enough to leave it alone.

There are only two possible reasons to pursue human cloning and their explored in several sci-fi movies including The Island and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. There are so many dangers involved with cloning that I would scarcely know where to begin. We can only hope that even the normally unscrupulous companies and nations will be wise enough to let it be.

They want to clone you can't stop them. Human clones might be already out there they just not telling us the truth. Would be nice to have twin me LOL!

There are only two possible reasons to pursue human cloning and their explored in several sci-fi movies including The Island and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. There are so many dangers involved with cloning that I would scarcely know where to begin. We can only hope that even the normally unscrupulous companies and nations will be wise enough to let it be.
There are only two possible reasons to pursue human cloning and their explored in several sci-fi movies including The Island and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. There are so many dangers involved with cloning that I would scarcely know where to begin. We can only hope that even the unscrupulous, non-democratic nations are smart enough to leave it alone.

Looks like we have our first example!!

This must be fake news...the scientist's last name is Poo for gods sake!!! They cant think of more original names for the characters in these fake news stories?! Who goes around saying Mr Poo???

This must be fake news...the scientist's last name is Poo for gods sake!!! They cant think of more original names for the characters in these fake news stories?! Who goes around saying Mr Poo???

Doesn't "Poo" in chinese mean **** or something like that... As in Deep-into-it if things go wrong.

China should start work on cloning every animal from there to Africa, that they've practically wiped off the face of the earth, (*), with their imaginary folk medicines, and habitual carving of ivory. Then, crawl back into their opium dens, and keep that crap out of the US.

Oh yeah, and be required to keep their f**king lasers out of space.

(*) Starting with the tiger. (I'm one of those crazy cat persons).

China should start work on cloning every animal from there to Africa, that they've practically wiped off the face of the earth, (*), with their imaginary folk medicines, and habitual carving of ivory. Then, crawl back into their opium dens, and keep that crap out of the US.

Oh yeah, and be required to keep their f**king lasers out of space.

(*) Starting with the tiger. (I'm one of those crazy cat persons).
+1 for Tigers ;)

Cloning and bring back those who you have loved and now gone. But would they be the same as you had know them? How far should we go with cloning? Bring back the woolly mammoth have them caged at the local zoo? Clone herd of animals to produce more head of cattle how would clone meat taste would we have to suffer from cloning illness? Strange world we are living in today..

They should clone Megan Fox in great quantities. A few hundreds millions of them. It would make the world much better. At least for men!

...[ ].... How far should we go with cloning? Bring back the woolly mammoth have them caged at the local zoo?....[ ].....
Actually that's not a bad idea.

My local zoo has squat for animals on exhibit, We can thank "animal rights activists" for that,

So, when you hear this nonsense about "all animals should be free", then you see the next commercial about, "global warning" with the starving polar bear floating on a chunk of melting polar ice, you have to wonder why we don't chopper the bear out, and let it live 40 years caged up in happiness with an all you can ear buffet, or let it "starve free", and die in less than ten years.

It's just as easily argued that we weren't meant to live in tiny one bed room apartments either, but we make do..

BTW, man likely contributed to the mastodon's extinction in the first place..

Back