Choosing between types of SSDs for mobile workstation

Hi, i'm choosing between what kind/types of Solid State Drive to be configure in my new mobile workstation. The problem is i'm not so familiar with SSDs and computer's hardware. So i hope that i could get some help out of this thread on the differences and the ideal choice of SSDs for my mobile workstation. Or should i just go for a normal HDD?

I will basically run Autodesk program ranging from Autocad, Inventor,3Ds Max then Solidworks, Bunkspeed & Adobe programs.

These are the options provided by Dell Precision M6500, and i wonder what brand do they uses for SSDs, i feel safer to go with Intel but i really don't know.

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive [Included in Price]
750GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive [add cheapest]
64GB Full Minicard Solid State Drive [add cheap]
128GB Mobility Solid State Drive [add moderate]
256GB Solid State Hard Drive [add super high price]

HP Elitebook 8740w

250GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
256GB Solid State Hard Drive
320GB 7200RPM (SED) SATA HARD DRIVE

Thank you

it looks like they use Samsung FlashSSD drives.
http://www.dell.com/content/learnmo...mobile_hdd&~lt=popup&~series=precn&~tab=other

they are not to bad actually and far better then i would have expected from Dell.
the Samsung FlashSSD on the website has pretty decent specs but i am not sure if that is the exact same drive with same specs.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/...Brand_Flash+Drive+-+General_Samsung+flash+ssd

edit: in any case you probably would fair better with an aftermarket drive like the ocz vertex 2 or the corsair force but then you would probably not have dell's recovery partition on it etc. unless you clone it.

if you would do that you could either save by not getting a hdd altogether from dell or use the 7200rpm that it comes with as storage drive

If your going to use it as your OS drive, and have plenty of applications installed you need to be looking at 64GB and above, otherwise you'll lose space.

I personally would go and get the SSD from somewhere else, and not from Dell. As others have said, you can always create an image of the supplied hard disk, and copy that (including the recovery partition) over to the SSD easily enough.

You'll likely get better value for money (or better spec for the same money) going somewhere else, but its your call.

Hi guys, thanks for the input.

@ Codisha
I also did some research from other website in which they compared DRAM SSD with Flash SSD and said that DRAM SSD is better than Flash SSD, in this case which is DRAM SSD from the specs above ? ( Either from Dell or HP )

@Leeky
Thanks for the suggestion Leeky but can i personalized/change the hard drive on my own since this is a notebook ?

P/s: i really do prefer HP's mobile workstation more than Dell but too bad that i can't really get the configuration that i wanted in my country. Now i really wonder if i could just order from HP USA or which ever country that have the specs i preferred and ship it to my country instead.

Of course you can. Its a simple task of replacing the hard disk, which on most Dell's is easily access from a removable panel on the underside of the laptop.

If you'd rather just go through Dell you can, you'll still get something half decent, but given that its a laptop your going to need a decent size SSD.

How much hard disk space do the installs of the software you mentioned above take up? W7 is going to be looking 10-20GB over time alone.

@ Leeky
:) owh okays.

Solidworks
Minimum: 1GB RAM
Recommended: 6GB RAM or more on Windows 7 x64 operating system

Autodesk 3Ds Max
For general animation and rendering (typically fewer than 1,000 objects or 100,000 polygons):

Intel 64 or AMD 64 processor with SSE2 technology*
4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)
4 GB swap space (8 GB recommended)**
3 GB free hard drive space

Direct3D 10, Direct3D 9, or OpenGL-capable graphics card† (256 MB or higher video card memory, 1 GB recommended)
Three-button mouse with mouse driver software

For large scenes and complex data sets (typically more than 1,000 objects or 100,000 polygons):

Intel® 64 or AMD64 processor with SSE2 technology*
8 GB RAM
8 GB swap space**
3 GB free hard drive space

Direct3D 10, Direct3D 9, or OpenGL-capable graphics card† (1 GB or higher video card memory)

Autodesk Inventor
For General Part and Assembly Design (Typically Fewer than 1,000 Parts)

2 GB RAM or more

For Complex Models, Complex Mold Assemblies, and Large Assemblies (Typically More than 1,000 Parts)

6 GB RAM or more

Back