Choppy full screen video and gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchweeDubulus

hey guys i know this is a double post but i think my problem fits this section more...please dont remove me!

hey guys i just set this new comp up today:

*ViewSonic VX2835WM 28" Piano Black 3ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor
*G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
*Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
*LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20
*Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
*EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
*Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
*BFG Tech BFGEGTX260MC896OC2BE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
*OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
*5 120mm Blue LED fans and one 200mm fan.

i tried running mirrors edge expecting beauty and its completely choppy, even at its lowest settings. i thought the issues were one of the following:
-i am running 1920x1200 resolution
-6 fans is cutting from the power supply
-driver issues

after a good amount of messing around, nothing seems to be working. any help?

Do you have the latest NVIDIA & PhysX drivers installed? Have you turned on PhysX acceleration in the NVIDIA Control Panel? Have you tried turning down the resolution?

yes yes and yes. however, i just called bfg support and they said my power supply wasnt providing enough power. i dont see how this is possible it runs 700watts. their reasoning was:

i have 4 channels of 12V+ each running 18A. two combine to a total of 36A, and this graphics card requires at least 38A. what i dont get is what the the other 12V+ channels are being used for. shouldnt my combined amps be 18*4 not 18*2...and if i get a new power supply how will i be able to tell if its enough power because some power supplies with more wattage only have 2 12v channels?

What BS. That figure is for a system with a GTX 260, not for the card alone! Your PSU is not exactly top-notch, but should still be good enough for your system. The problem looks to be something else. Try running another game and see if its not a bad card.

thats good to hear, because returning anything will be a huge hassle.

is there any way i can test to see if my card is getting all the power it needs?

would a GTX260 be good enough at 1920x1200 resolution however?

how does it perform at lower resolutions?

my understanding was that if 1920x1200 was an option, then the card could support it. it can run full screen at 1024x768 (mirrors edge is choppy no matter what res) but still this seems like a higher end graphics card that should be able to support 1920x1200 or at the very least the next resolution down.

1920x1200 should not be a problem at all for the GTX 260. There is something wrong with the card or your driver install is messed up somehow. Try using Driver Cleaner Pro to wipe all traces of the drivers and install them again.

hwo can i find out if my card is defective, there has to be some test right? this card was purchased online so returning is going to be a hassle and id like to know 100% that its defective

Before you believe your card is defective how do other games perform? Have you enabled Physx in mirrors edge? Have you updated to 1.01?

Another thing to test out is FluidMark, a physx based benchmark. Let us know how well that performs for you.

[ SCORE: 8616 o3Marks ] - Time: 60000 ms
PhysX version: 9090203 - PhysX Mode: Hardware
Res: 1920x1200 (FS) - MSAA: 0X
FPS: min=106 max=402 avg=144

GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2
7.15.11.8206 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
2653 MHz
4095 Mb
Windows Vista ver.6.0 build 6001 [Service Pack 1]

i dont know if thats good or bad

that benchmark sounds like its running as expected. As a comparison on my (overclocked) 9600GT i am averaging 81fps at 1440x900

so, im kinda thinking your hardware is fine, there is an issue with the game (Mirrors Edge). Did you update to 1.01 ?

i only downloadd the one the game reommended, ill double check. but even with the update, how is that going to help watching videos in full screen?

so, how do other games perform?

If you dont have them try downloading 3dMark Vantage, crysis demo, COD4 demo, Left 4 Dead demos and let us know your performance on those.

Like I said before you think its your hardware, put your system through a variety of different tests.

Side Note: Mirrors Edge is a buggy game, at least for me. Even with the 1.01 update, when i turn Physx on in the game settings it says i dont have a Physx capable card - although I do. I also have to run it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode otherwise the game crashes everytime at the splashscreen. (this is under Windows XP SP2)

eureka! installing the newest bios update from evga worked. i was convinced that i had a defective piece...thanks to all for the help i learned some valuable info along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back