Cities: Skylines is the Epic Game Store's latest limited-time freebie

Polycount

Staff
Freebie: If you're a fan of the city management sim genre, you've undoubtedly heard of Cities: Skylines. Though it can bring even the most powerful hardware to its knees with its intense CPU requirements, it's still the best, and most content-rich city builder on the market -- and it can be yours today for the low, low price of $0.

As long as you're willing to do the unspeakable and download the Epic Games Store, that is. Jokes aside, Cities: Skylines is Epic's latest freebie, and it's quite a good one.

Though the giveaway version lacks any of Skylines' DLC (which you'll probably want eventually), the base game's content is still the culmination of years of free updates, patches, and bug fixes, so you'll hardly be suffering through a subpar experience.

I've clocked in a couple hundred hours in Skylines myself, and I've probably built at least a dozen cities across many different maps -- each with their own themes, designs, and troubles to overcome.

If you've never dipped your toes in this genre before, now is a great time to start building the city of your dreams. But be wary: Skylines has a steep learning curve, and it's very easy for problems like insufficient healthcare coverage and poor traffic management (through badly-placed roads) to come back and bite you later, causing your bustling city to plummet into chaos. My advice? Start small, and zone districts slowly. The faster you expand, the more you'll have to deal with.

Still, if you can get past some of those early struggles, you'll soon be enjoying one of the most compelling PC games out there -- again, so long as your system can handle it (even with an overclocked 8700K, my framerate tanks in larger cities).

Notably, this giveaway is only good for roughly the next 18 hours: as part of its ongoing holiday sale, Epic is cycling through freebies pretty quickly.

Permalink to story.

Great game, awful store. I'd rather pay full freight on Steam.
Really?

I beg to differ. Epic store has improved massively over last year and keeps improving. Also, Steam's huge cut is anti-developer and if any game is available on Epic I will buy it from there only. Many new games are at Epic and that too at far cheaper than Steam.

But please, go ahead and give $5-$10 extra per game at Steam. Your money, your choice.

Really?

I beg to differ. Epic store has improved massively over last year and keeps improving. Also, Steam's huge cut is anti-developer and if any game is available on Epic I will buy it from there only. Many new games are at Epic and that too at far cheaper than Steam.

But please, go ahead and give $5-$10 extra per game at Steam. Your money, your choice.
I will gladly go pay more on Steam, GOG, Humble or another store than to support these anti-consumer hypocrites. It's my money.

FYI claiming that Steam is "anti-dev" just because Epic is offering a lower cut is not true and will never be true. Epic doesn't offer even 10% of the value Steam offers.

I will not pay devs (written as devs, read as publishers) more to encourage the third party exclusivity buying spree that Epic is doing. We don't need that console crap on PC. Thankfully most devs don't support it either after the huge backlash from PC gamers.

PS: even after all of this time the Store itself is still crap. too few updates and many of them not even good.

Last edited:
Sure, your money. I don't agree with your point about not paying more to devs. But funnily enough you love to pay more to Steam?
Do whatever. Buy 10 copies of same game on Steam if you like.

FYI claiming that Steam is "anti-dev" just because Epic is offering a lower cut is not true and will never be true. Epic doesn't offer even 10% of the value Steam offers.
Can you give any source or proof at all or is this just an arbitrary number you came up with?

I accidentally bumped into this offer yesterday evening, after a really long and challenging day, so it was certainly a sight for sore eyes :)
On another note: I have joind Epic last year with they GTAV offering, and made quite a few purchases since, not experiencing any problems. For me, it is just another launcher sitting on my PC (beside Steam, Origin and Uplay...I love you GOG, did I tell you that?). Why the the hate? Not a rhetoric question: I'm honestly interested why some of opinion here are against Epic...what did I miss?

On another note: I have joind Epic last year with they GTAV offering, and made quite a few purchases since, not experiencing any problems. For me, it is just another launcher sitting on my PC (beside Steam, Origin and Uplay...I love you GOG, did I tell you that?). Why the the hate? Not a rhetoric question: I'm honestly interested why some of opinion here are against Epic...what did I miss?
Some people dislike Epic due to encouraging exclusives, which is understandable. Their store is primitive and needs work. Other people though, particularly of the "No Steam, No Buy" crowd really have always had zero intention of ever using Epic no matter how much they improve (for the same reason why they don't buy the GOG versions of games long before the Epic Store came along).

"Anti consumer" also comes in various colours, and whilst I neither love nor hate Epic or Steam, I do dislike DRM more than anything (nothing says "I actually respect you as a customer" more than selling a game which isn't tied to a remote kill-switch). And there are quite a few AAA games on Epic without any DRM that work without needing the Epic Launcher (link) whilst the Steam version forces the use of Steam. So, how "anti-consumer" Epic is vs Steam really depends on your priorities / personal gripes. Personally, GOG is my favourite store too, but I have absolutely no hold-ups at getting free Epic games like that, especially the Zero client needed ones.

Last edited:
Some people dislike Epic due to encouraging exclusives, which is understandable. Their store is primitive and needs work. Other people though, particularly of the "No Steam, No Buy" crowd really have always had zero intention of ever using Epic no matter how much they improve (for the same reason why they don't buy the GOG versions of games long before the Epic Store came along).

"Anti consumer" also comes in various colours, and whilst I neither love nor hate Epic or Steam, I do dislike DRM more than anything (nothing says "I actually respect you as a customer" more than selling a game which isn't tied to a remote kill-switch). And there are quite a few AAA games on Epic without any DRM that work without needing the Epic Launcher (link) whilst the Steam version forces the use of Steam. So, how "anti-consumer" Epic is vs Steam really depends on your priorities / personal gripes. Personally, GOG is my favourite store too, but I have absolutely no hold-ups at getting free Epic games like that, especially the Zero client needed ones.
Thanks for the list, that IS useful! :)

As for the exclusives: I didn't know about Epic encouraging them, and it is definitely not my preference either. The store being primitive...I don't know, it's a store, it works, I like the simplicity and don't miss anything in particular...what's lacking?

Just another BS campaign to collect personal data .......
They are giving away free games, what part of that can be translated to "just another BS campaign"? I had to give my personal data to all other platforms as well (so far Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net)...how is this any different, can you please elaborate?

I will gladly go pay more on Steam, GOG, Humble or another store than to support these anti-consumer hypocrites. It's my money.
Thank you for not selling out your principles for $5-10.

As for the Epic defenders, enjoy the footlong from Subway you'll buy with the money you saved. Eat Fresh!©

I just download from whoever gives a game for free. Who cares if it's steam or epic? I feel it's stupid to pay a company while another is giving the same for free. It's just a game, for goodness sake. Epic, Steam or Uplay...whatever. Speaking of "principles" in gaming... it's ridiculous, to say the least.

I just download from whoever gives a game for free. Who cares if it's steam or epic? I feel it's stupid to pay a company while another is giving the same for free. It's just a game, for goodness sake. Epic, Steam or Uplay...whatever. Speaking of "principles" in gaming... it's ridiculous, to say the least.
It's easy to denigrate others for believing in principle when you have none.

LOL. "Principles" of choosing a gaming launcher?

Stupidity at it's best.
People are lambasting Nvidia for selling hardware to miners and suppressing hardware reviewers but you somehow seem to think that principles stop just because "gaming"?

You're the one that's out of touch and you're trying to cover for it using "u mad".

People are lambasting Nvidia for selling hardware to miners and suppressing hardware reviewers but you somehow seem to think that principles stop just because "gaming"?

You're the one that's out of touch and you're trying to cover for it using "u mad".
Whatever you think. In the end I'm playing the same games for free which you might have paid. $10 or $100 doesn't matter. Keep your "principles" to yourself. Enjoy.

Epic games store is the best games store around atm, loads of free games and the cheapest prices too. I don’t understand the hate for it, we save money, the devs take more money, everyone wins!

Back