Clean Install of Windows 7

Nicki

I want to perform a clean install of Windows 7 on an older laptop. I have the original CD that came with laptop. Looking for "procedure checklist" of some sort to guide me through the process. Do I need to be concerned about drivers and if so, what can I do now to ensure that the clean install goes well.

I want to perform a clean install of Windows 7 on an older laptop. I have the original CD that came with laptop. Looking for "procedure checklist" of some sort to guide me through the process. Do I need to be concerned about drivers and if so, what can I do now to ensure that the clean install goes well.
Well, I'd like to know whether you have what is known as a "restore disc", (A disc .iso IMAGE of your operating system + "value added" software)), or an actual Windows disc, Windows OS only.

In either case, you will pretty much be guaranteed a "clean install". But, with a "restore disc", the proprietary drivers for the manufacturer's installed hardware, (sound card, video card, etc.) will be included in the image..

If what you have is a "restore disc", the drivers on it, will be those current at the time of your laptop's manufacture. IMHO, unless you have a specific, or a factory memo, which states drivers have been released subsequently to fix a specific issue, you're done after the restore discs are installed.

Now, if you plan on installing drivers for peripheral devices , (especially printers), you would install the drivers which, (hopefully you still have), from the CD(s), which came with the device.

Windows contains basic, "plug and play" drivers, (which only serve to interface a device and make it work in a limited fashion. Windows 7 also can look for manufacturer's driver on line for you. It even asks it you would like it to do so.

There is a lot of poop going on with "current updates". For example HP just released an "update", to their printers, which forces you to use ONLY HP branded (very expensive) inks. Again IMHO, I would steer well clear of that.

Here we go again with "my humble opinion", but I would defeat ALL "automatic updates", (including Windows itself). Rather opting for, "notify me of updates, but don't install them" protocols. And before you put any update in your machine, read the fine print very carefully, to find out what it is, and what it does.

All this whimpering about Windows 10 "nag screens" on Windows 7 machines, was caused a specific update, owners allowed Windows to install. I never had a single issue with "get Windows 10 screens". I read the fine print, and ignored the "recommended" download.

Back