Cleaning up Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

moochieh

I have just "inherited" a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop from my brother after he got a Mac and I am trying to configure it to my liking and get rid of the unnecessary programs that my brother left me. When I got my hands on the computer, the first thing I noticed was how slow the startup was and that there were 5+ anti-virus programs. I've removed most of them and kept the ones recommended in the 8 step preliminary program and I am looking for other ways to get the computer faster. I really have no idea what some of the programs left on the laptop are, and I'm sure there are some inefficiences and/or viruses left over. Please take a look at my logs... Thank You!

sorry I forgot the logs, here they are.

Looks like you have a good start.
One of the experienced helpers will be along to provide "customized" assistance.

One observation... I noticed BitTorrent in your HJT log.
P2P software is not recommended,
and it is likely that you will be asked to remove it in the course of getting cleaned up.

Thanks for the reply, yes I just noticed it too. I have no problem with getting rid of it, I don't even think it was used.

Well it definitely was being used
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
The above entry says (in English) Run BitTorrent on every startup, and then minimize it.

Info on using P2P Programs => https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic124748.html

Quote from 8-Step Removal Guide:
Uninstall File Sharing/P2P Programs

During the cleaning process all File Sharing Programs should be uninstalled
This is to avoid any possible reinfection of any malwares through file sharing

We reserve the right to withdraw our support:
  • If such programs are found in your logs
  • Should you not agree to their removal.
As they are normally set to bypass your Firewall and Anti-Virus software
Filesharing/P2P Programs serves as a constant threat to your computer

It does not appear in "add or remove programs" but it is visible when I go to My Computer-> Program Files. If I delete it from there will it work? And I know that when these kinds of applications run they appear on the bottom right tray but it isn't there so I don't see any trace of it running.

Edit: Ditto for Bearshare

What about "BearShare" and "Party Poker"

Hmm, personally if I had that computer I'd backup and re-install clean
Who knows what else is in the background :suspiciou Especially seeming Bittorent doesn't have an uninstall option !

Here's the only advice I'll give (B00kWyrm can help you if he wants to post 20 posts in this thread !)

Try the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows to help backup your important data. The link also includes help installing Windows clean :)

Well I knew my bro had a lot of "unnecessary" things, but I didn't even realize this lol. There really isn't too much that needs to be backed up so I guess I could re-install windows. Do you think these programs can still pose a threat if I do not re-install? and does that mean there is no possible way to uninstall these programs?

Kimsland is among the best you will find here!
AFAIK . . . His word is Gospel!

Review also the information for newcomers
... about those who have authoritative status here...
Since he said that was the only advice he was going to offer,
my question is "Why don't you want to do a clean install?"

I just do computers as a hobby...
You can trust Kimsland 100%.

Re: Threat question... see first post by Kimsland.
We reserve the right to withdraw our support:
* If such programs are found in your logs
* Should you not agree to their removal.

If you run into trouble with reinstallation, you will likely want to start a new thread.
G'Luck!

ok guys thanks for the help! I might try a fresh install this weekend. I just like to know as much about computers as I can and I know you guys have a lot of knowledge to offer haha. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back