CMOS Error with Athlon 64 3200+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

I built a second system with an EPoX 9NPA + Ultra mobo that I got off of eBay back in April. It has been rock solid (I purchased it from a IT guy). The cpu is an Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0).

Last night I shut down this system and when my son went to start it today I was getting one long intermittant beep code and the monitor didn't come on. I eventually was able to reboot and the first screen came up.

It said that the system is now running in Safe Mode and that I had an error and that I needed to go into CMOS to reset the cpu voltage to correct measure.

The thing is when I went into the BIOS the voltage was set correctly. So I saved and exited (no, I didn't set any default settings) and the system booted right back up.

Perhaps the CMOS battery is going but the board isn't that old; nor is the battery.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

POST Code / beep code

Per computerhope dot com slash beep dot htm

"POST ABCs - The computer POST (Power On Self Test) tests the computer, insuring that it meets the necessary system requirements and that all hardware is working properly before starting the remainder of the boot process. If the computer passes the POST the computer will have a single beep (with some computer BIOS manufacturers it may beep twice) as the computer starts and the computer will continue to start normally. However, if the computer fails the POST, the computer will either not beep at all or will generate a beep code, which tells the user the source of the problem."

From your description, the single beep meant that it POSTed okay...
but I am not sure what you mean by intermittent...

The codes will vary somewhat per bios... see the above website for more details.
It provides very detailed information on the post codes.

Hey Route44

It was probably just a power surge of some sort. I don't think you have cause to worry unless it occurs more frequently to be honest. Keep us posted though.

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back