Colorado police charge man for "killing his computer" with a handgun

Justin Kahn

colorado found colorado police springs police handgun man kills his computer lucas hinch

We have all been there at some point or another. Our computers freeze up or some error occurs and we lose hours (or even days) of work. This is usually followed by a series of loud expletives and physical threats towards the machine. Rarely do these physical threats come to fruition, but the Colorado Police Department have recently arrested a man for getting a little too violent with his troublesome computer.

In fact, after what sounds like a long and arduous battle with the system, the man reportedly carried it out to a nearby alleyway and blasted it with 8 rounds from his handgun. You can see the damage done in the image above courtesy of the Springs Police (@CSPDPIO) Twitter account.

"He took the computer into the back alley and fired eight shots into the computer with a handgun, effectively disabling it," police said.

Based on data from a police statement officially entitled "Man Kills His Computer,” Colorado law enforcement officers responded to a “shots fired” call from local residence on Monday evening before charging Lucas Hinch for using a firearm within city limits. The police investigation revealed that Hinch had been in a months-long battle with his machine before he decided to put it out of its misery. 

The 37-year old Hinch wasn’t aware he was breaking the law, according to reports, and will face a judge before any penalties are handed out. While certainly not as effective as a gun, it’s hard to imagine a baseball bat not being able to handle the job just as well. 

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

That’s the result of a 24-hour GTA V gaming session.

Thanks Steve! Someone had to insert a "violent video game" quip in there somewhere. I'm surprised this wasn't tied by to World of Warcraft or Call of Duty, or even the famous whipping boy of games, Doom!

Thanks Steve! Someone had to insert a "violent video game" quip in there somewhere. I'm surprised this wasn't tied by to World of Warcraft or Call of Duty, or even the famous whipping boy of games, Doom!

He could have just as easily been playing Call of Duty and the lag just became too much.

If he were playing WoW he turned the gun on the wrong thing.

He could have just as easily been playing Call of Duty and the lag just became too much.

If he were playing WoW he turned the gun on the wrong thing.

Or he was getting trolled by no lifers in street fighter 4 ultra, I swear there are some people that don't work and just play this game 20 hours a day.

Only thing he killed was the MoBo and maybe the CPU which you can get the exact replacement on eBay for $40(for both). The HDD in that model of Dell is located at the very bottom of the case.

Only thing he killed was the MoBo and maybe the CPU which you can get the exact replacement on eBay for $40(for both). The HDD in that model of Dell is located at the very bottom of the case.

The bullet holes suggest that he may not want to use that computer again.

And it get headline coverage in America. Over here it wouldn't get any coverage, nobody would notice let alone pay attention to or even bother to report and they wouldn't bother using a handgun either, they're for sissy's, a full clip from a stolen AK47 with serial numbers ground off is par for the course. :D

And we have the right to bare arms. Seriously that is ridiculous if we can't shoot them. It clearly states he was arrested for firing within the city limits, not killing his computer. The authorities couldn't care less about the machine, because obviously it was done in self-defense.

Obviously he didn't think this through. Whenever a play is going to have gun shot effects, they have to inform the local authorities. Not that this would change this situation. Best thing would have been to take it to a firing range.

Personally, I prefer to use explosives.

Some kill it, some kick it, smash it, some get in love with it, call it names, pet it when the HDD purrs... it`s a whole range of emotions with computers and something tells me when the AI finally arrives, we will have marriages.

I have disposed of some old equipment with a variety of calibers, um, er, methods, though I did this outside of city restrictions so no problem.

Just because it has the word computer in the title doesn't mean anyone cares to read about it.

"Colorado police charge man" vs "Colorado police cited man" are two completely different things. Cited means they just slapped him around a bit and gave him a ticket, but Charged means they kicked him, spat on him, and threw his butt in jail.

Lionvibez ..Yes because the alternative is that some people are just naturally better than yourself at something and that just wouldn't do, would it!?
Better to use a derogatory name for them in an attempt to bolster your ego otherwise you would never sleep at night.
And no, I've never played the game!
:p

Back