Combining Storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you able to use two SATA HDDs without using RAID? I mean. Example If I have a 40GB HDD that I want to use as the Boot disk and a 160 BG that I want to use as just storage for programs games and Download things, would I just plug them into the SATA Ports and attach the power cables.... Or would I need some sort of card or something?

disable raid
I don't think sata's have master /slave jumpers
you may have to go in on boot and config there
when my server boots up I get a prompt to config my scsi's
I don't use sata drives so

you just need to set the SATA mode to IDE (not Raid) first
I guess I'm going to have to buy a coupl'a sata's and play with them

so in IDE mode the 2 hard drives wuld just act normal and none would lose any memory or anything, what exactly is the difference between IDE and RAID?

RAID is a way of creating one big fast hard drive out of multiple arrays of disks. (Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks). IDE is the most common setup for disks where each disk is seperate (in general).

k thx for clearing up raid for me but for ide are u just saying that if u have 2 hdd's that they will be separate, so that wen u go into my computer u can select either of the 2, and then for raid u will only see one?

How do you hook up 2 SATA HDDs (say 120GB and a 160) so that You have the combined space of both drives (120GB + 160GB = 280GB)? Is that IDE mode? if so how do you implement IDE mode for SATA HDDs?

ya, thats what i want to know and i think now that all u have to do is go into the bios and set them both to ide and make 1 maser and 1 slave, plz correct me if im wrong.

Forge said:
How do you hook up 2 SATA HDDs (say 120GB and a 160) so that You have the combined space of both drives (120GB + 160GB = 280GB)? Is that IDE mode? if so how do you implement IDE mode for SATA HDDs?
you will need to set them as RAID. Bare in mind there are different types of RAID depending on how you want the data to be spread. (It's best to use google to read into this in depth) Your motherboard should by default use RAID when using SATA disks (thats from my experience anyway).

If you have disks set up as IDE then you (e.g. 120GB and 160GB) you will see them as that in your OS as C:\ and D:\. Whereas with RAID you can have just C:\ as a combined size plus various other arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back