Comcast is rolling out nationwide price hikes starting in December

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Comcast is on track to milk even more money out of cable TV subscribers. Starting next month, nationwide price adjustments will go into effect that will see the average cost of service across markets increase by 3.8 percent. Naturally, some markets will be hit harder than others.

In Taunton, Massachusetts, Comcast's broadcast TV fee will increase from $18.65 per month to $26 per month starting December 20, 2022. That is an increase of $7.35 per month, or more than $88 a year. Video package pricing is also going up in Taunton, from $2 to $5 more a month, and the cost to rent a set-top box will increase by $1.50 to $10 per month.

Several cities in Michigan, including Royal Oak Township and Farmington, will see their broadcast TV fee shoot up by nearly six bucks, from $14.80 a month to $20.70. The regional sports fee, meanwhile, will increase from $9.50 to $10.15.

It is a similar story in Sandown, New Hampshire, where the broadcast TV fee is set to reach $27.25 a month from the current rate of $24.95. Video and Internet packages will also be trending up in this region.

Comcast defended the price hikes. In a statement to The TV Answer Man, a spokesperson said TV networks and other video programmers continue to raise their prices, and that broadcast television and sports are the biggest drivers of increases in customers' bills. The Comcast rep added that the 3.8 percent increase is about half of the most recent rate of inflation.

Patrick Shearns, Comcast's senior manager of government and regulatory affairs, told the city of Taunton that they absorb some cost increases but added that fee increases affect service pricing.

With the end of the year just around the corner and in the face of rising costs virtually everywhere, it may not be a bad time to reevaluate your active subscriptions. Odds are, you could probably offset some rising costs by dropping a rarely used subscription service or two.

Image credit: Advantus Media, Nothing Ahead, Fran Jacquier

Permalink to story.

They left a scar on my credit report. Returned my equipment to me and sent me to collections for not returning it. Fought it several times and lost, I'm not paying it. been without them for 3 years, only a few more before it falls off.

I felt like a freed man when I switched from Comcast internet to frontier/zipplyfiber.
Comcast still has a 1tb cap for home internet data usage. A data cap in 2022 where games weigh 200 TB and most movies and shows can be streamed in 4k.
They are crooks. And if you have a choice, do not give them money.
P.S. I came to realize that most people dont care/know what internet they have.
If you bill comes from comcast, inquire if there are other companies providing internet. The expansion of other
companies was drastic over these years. Do not give Comcast money.

They left a scar on my credit report. Returned my equipment to me and sent me to collections for not returning it. Fought it several times and lost, I'm not paying it. been without them for 3 years, only a few more before it falls off.

Seems a bizarre decision to allow that to ruin your credit rating. I take it you aren't buying a house any time soon

I only have their internet. I haven't had cable tv in some time, actually. With the use of fast speeds and Plex, I don't have a need for it.

That sucks.

I wonder if their internet prices will go up....there was a price increase 12 months ago (give or take). My internet bill went from $55 to $58.

If prices go up again, I can say that I called it because of their "speed increase" they "gave out" last month. I figured a price increase was going to follow it soon after and here it is!

Seems a bizarre decision to allow that to ruin your credit rating. I take it you aren't buying a house any time soon
didn't "ruin" my credit rating, but I'm not paying $480 for equipment that was returned. I'm still above 720 so it can sit there for the next 3 years

The whole thing is rigged. Be thankful if you live in an area where you can pull the locals over terrestrial for free, get a decent price on broadband ... and get close to al-a-carte with a streaming package (or two if you're really watching that much TV). Comcast/NBC/Universal needs to be broken up! Their customer service is utter garbage - no exceptions.

In the UK they all go up by at least 3% each year if not more, normally in line with CPI.
There's nothing you can do, other than switch, but they're all fiercely competitive so prices are much the same.

It gets removed in 7 years. It'll be fine and as long as other credit is in check, it will only leave a slight flesh wound.
But this affects your interest rate as when applying for loans. This also means you would either have to refinance if buying a home after the report drops off (which can cost thousands in fees) or pay a higher interest rate for the duration of your loan. It's cheaper to just buy the equipment and leave a negative BBB report and walk away.

But this affects your interest rate as when applying for loans. This also means you would either have to refinance if buying a home after the report drops off (which can cost thousands in fees) or pay a higher interest rate for the duration of your loan. It's cheaper to just buy the equipment and leave a negative BBB report and walk away.
BBB has no power over businesses....it's basically the same as someone leaving a review on Yelp or Google, the only real difference is that a company listed on BBB pays a fee to be on that list.

The biggest problem here is that most people are just assuming that yRaz is struggling and things are just awful for him because of this blip on his credit report. If he's made it 3-4 years and only has a couple more to go before it falls off his credit report, clearly it's not important to him.

Also, it depends on your state laws. In MN I think things stay on your credit report for 6 or 7 years.

This is why I still keep my receipt of returned COMCAST equipment.

The same happened to me with Optimum many years ago. Out of the blue, a collection call demanding $600 for their lousy modem. It seems to be a cash cow for those telcos!!

But, next day I went to their office, showed them the proof of return, signed by one of their imbeciles and then gave them a very loud a piece of my mind!!

I haven't paid a penny to those scammers for almost 10 years now.

A $20 - 30 antenna (some flat ones placed against the window work as easily inside the house) facing the area where most stations are located - you can google them / some sites list their coordinates too. They even work when placed in the attic too.

This cheap antenna pulls at least 40 -50 channels and the majority are even in HD quality, especially CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, PBS, etc . Everything else I can get bundled with my Amazon Prime or even on many free websites, like Peacock or Tubitv, etc.

Skrew the telcos.

Back