Comcast's 1Gbps Internet service hits Atlanta, reasonably priced (if you sign a long-term contract)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Comcast's rollout of DOCSIS 3.1 (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) is officially underway. The nation's largest home Internet service provider is now offering its gigabit Internet service – what it calls an advanced consumer trial – in select parts of Atlanta.

In order to get the best deal, however, you'll need to commit to a lengthy contract with an early termination fee. Here's everything you need to know.

Those in participating areas who agree to sign a three-year contract can lock in the non-symmetrical service (1Gbps down, 35Mbps up) for $70 a month. Without the contract, customers can expect to pay $140 with the option to upgrade to unlimited data for an additional $35 per month (so around $175 with unlimited data). The big "catch" here is that non-contract subscribers will be subject to a 300GB-per-month data cap. Those that commit to 36 months of service won't be held to a data cap.

Contract customers will also be subject to an early termination fee of up to $350 should they break contract. The EFT would drop monthly on a sliding scale over the duration of the contract, a Comcast representative told Ars Technica.

On a brighter note, the new gigabit option won't come with installation or activation fees.

Last summer, Comcast announced a symmetrical 2Gbps fiber-based service for residential customers priced at $300 per month in addition to up to $1,000 in activation and installation fees. What's more, a customer must live within a third of a mile of Comcast's fiber network to become eligible for service.

Permalink to story.

You know, lengthy contracts and termination fee's are a MAJOR red flag to any intelligent user. it tells you that there service is probably undependable and you won't get any relief if they simply decide to do nothing. I would go for that deal if they signed my own clause that states "supplier agree's to double the money back to the subscriber anytime service dips below XX mb, supplier fails to respond and correct any service lapses within 4 hours of notification and/or supplier shall reimburse all losses caused by drop or slow service". I once showed that to a HS provider in my last job and the salesman just sat there, dumbfounded. I told him otherwise we would sign no contract and had the option to cancel anytime with a minimum of 24 hour notice. I wonder if anyone ever got those smelling salts I ordered for him ....... ??

Comcast once again rears it's monopolistic head. So glad I don't have to put up with them. Charging $350 to "terminate" a customer service agreement, when all it takes is a lowly paid employee to shut off the service in the computer, in their little cubicle is ridiculous. These predatory practices need to stop. But oh wait, the FTC and FCC are incompetent and bought and paid for by these monopolies. Because if they weren't they would stop this horshit right now.

I saved $10/mo compared to non contract price for 15mbps cable internet unlimited and actually getting 1584kB/s down, 1mbps+ up, 19ms ping, 0-1% jitter on speed tests. Prior to that I was paying for "up to 7mbps" DSL that maxed out at 560kB/s down, 768kbps up, 56 ping times, 13% jitter (I think) from that same provider (Primus Canada), and I'm only paying $10 more a month than I was for DSL. When they told me about the activation fee I literally boo'd into the phone and they waived it! Point being, contracts aren't always bad.

Last edited:
Back