Companies drop Vista for Windows 7 mid-upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

When it comes to dealing with several hundred computers at once, caution is a requirement. That's one of the many reasons behind planned upgrades and slow rollouts for new software in a business environment, where a myriad of factors have to be taken into account before a computer's operating system is wiped.

Three years after Vista's release, there are still many companies who are in the middle of lengthy upgrade procedures, with plenty having yet to begin. For those that have, it seems the release of Windows 7 has given them the motive to abandon Vista altogether, and that includes companies who are already in the middle of Vista upgrades. According to recent statements by a Microsoft exec, businesses have been switching from Vista to Windows 7 mid-stride.

The reasoning behind it may vary, but how it looks to the outside world doesn't. People (including businesses) were unhappy with Vista and are seeking to upgrade as fast as possible. A gamble? Perhaps. But a more important question might be Microsoft's reaction. They seem to be encouraging it, in a sense, or at least are helping companies wanting to do this. What about the monumental amount of cash already spilled out for Vista, however?

I imagine companies who took the risk of deploying Vista early on are feeling pretty burned right now, and may be reluctant to spend even more money on Windows 7. It doesn't seem to be stopping the majority, with an estimated 50% of corporate PCs expected to be running Windows 7 in the next year. That's an insanely fast adoption rate -- the fastest ever predicted for a Microsoft OS.

Is all of that based upon hype, or has Microsoft really made a night and day difference (from a business perspective) in their software?

Permalink to story.

My company (1,500+ workstations) never considered going to Vista - at all. And they're taking a "wait and see" attitude for Windows 7. Fact of the matter is, XP is doing just fine running all of our apps and people are used to it.

Personally, I'd like to see an upgrade to Windows 7, but then I'm a techno-geek. For the mainstream populace, change is not welcome.

Company i'm working for are still using good old W2K. And I seriously don't see them upgrading anytime soon because the systems are so old that i highly doubt they will even be able even run 7 smoothly. Almost all the machines have 256MB of ram... barely enough for W2K, much less 7. lol

I work in IT and the company I am currently working at will use XP for the next couple of years before even considering upgrading to 7.

Most of us right here who are "in the know" realize that Windows 7 is the superior product. However, a great many individuals and companies got burned by the early version of Vista. They learned a lesson and vowed not to migrate so quickly again until the coast REALLY looks clear.

After the initial rush of folks like many of us taking the early plunge there is going to be a long and slow migration over on the part of the masses. MS simply has to be patient and realize that it is THEY who created the deep sense of hesitation and mistrust. Next time MS will learn never to release an operating system that isn't ready for prime time.

We upgraded machines to Vista when we had to rebuild a machine, so we have a mix of XP, Vista, Win 7. We had a few machines that could not run Vista but can run Win 7. Our plan is to upgrade everything to Windows 7 soon. Win 7 is esentially Vista R2 and has been very solid and has some nice features.

We upgraded all our machines at my University to Vista but will upgrade again to 7 likely next summer. Its not really a full upgrade, more of a service pack compared to going from XP to Vista and the performance gains arent to be ignored - a core2 duo running Vista will run faster with Windows 7 so all the machines we upgraded to 2 and 4 gig of ram will see an improvement.

At work we upgraded to XP Pro from Windows 2000 just earlier this year. I doubt we will be upgrading again anytime soon.

aolish said:
Company i'm working for are still using good old W2K. And I seriously don't see them upgrading anytime soon because the systems are so old that i highly doubt they will even be able even run 7 smoothly. Almost all the machines have 256MB of ram... barely enough for W2K, much less 7. lol

To be fair, I think that W7 could run (maybe a lil slow) on an older machine.

I am writing this to you on a Pentium III 733 Mhz and 512 SDRAM PC133 with Windows 7 Ultimate on it, and believe it: Windows 7 runs FASTER than Windows XP Pro (that was previously on it)!!

It takes Win XP pro 2 mins to boot while it takes Windows 7 1min20s!

Back on topic:
From a business perspective, the switch to Windows 7 is most likely a good move since Windows 7 IS in many ways Windows Vista with major OS tweaks and added functionality that makes it a much better OS than Vista and XP.

Investing money in it will only open more doors for progress in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back