Component to VGA adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

I have need for a component video to VGA adapter. I recently ordered the Hauppauge HD PVR high definition capture card (which I love, by the way) but I have nothing that accepts a component signal. Now, the first thought that comes to mind is to buy a cheapo little tv, maybe 10", but that's still too expensive, then I though, well hey, there's this second monitor sitting on my desk, why the heck not try using it. The only problem is, everywhere I look, it looks like I'll need parts like a sync something or other, and some skill with a soldering iron (I own one, but I've only used it a few times, and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination great at it.) I think if I could just sacrifice some of my RCA cables and a spare VGA cable I have laying around, I can match up the pinouts no problem, as long as no additional parts are needed. Truth be told, I really don't care if the video is grainy, black and white, has bars, etc., as long as I can see the picture clearly, I'll be happy.

I did find this page:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Which seems to be the right thing, but I want to make sure with you knowledgable folks here before I tear up a VGA and cat5 cable, and go soldering things up left and right. Does this page have it's info right? Can I follow the instructions there and I'll be good. Specifically this:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/files/vga-component.jpg

Will that really work? If so, what good is it to attach the striped-brown/brown cable to the vga side if you're only going to bend it back and tape it?

Anyways, can it be this simple, please help, the quicker the better with this, my living room is a mess with all the cable clutter.

I don't know the answer to your specific questions but I did notice the unit has a USB port. Can that be used to connect to a PC which in turn can show the output on its monitor?

The capture card has a USB port, yes, but the lag between what happens on the source and what happens on the computer is considerable (sometimes 2 or 3 seconds). This makes it rather difficult to play my games (I'm recording from an xbox 360 console). I can live with it if I'm recording something where I don't have to interact at all, but if I have to interact, it won't work.

I did manage to make a little component to VGA cable, but the picture is green. I know that I didn't cross any wires or anything, and I tried with 2 different connections, they both yielded the same results, a green picture. That part I can't really live with, I need to be able to play Halo and it's hard to tell which players are red and which are blue when the screen is tinted green. Can anyone help me with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back