Computer constantly running at 100% - HJT attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly I'd like to thank everyone who replies to this. I am constantly impressed (and amazed) by the online community's willingness to help absolute strangers out with trivial problems.

My trivial problem entails a very busy cpu (often running at 100% for extended periods of time). I've got a 1.73ghz pentium with 1gb of ram basically running the internet and office programs, meaning that I believe there is nothing insufficient with the specs of the pc to do what I'm using it for. so, evidence suggests that it's something software/virus related (in my opinion)

so here's the hjt .txt file for your persusal. thanks a lot for any help.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
use run->taskmgr to see all processses

now click twice on the column heading CPU; this will place the users in order of
most to least cpu usage.

note which is on top and reply

your Java is significantly out of date (but this is NOT a cause of any problem but should be addressed latter)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_09\bin\jusched.exe

you do not need this to be running; set startup to DISABLE or MANUAL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

these are autoupdaters that are unnecessary; change the startup to MANUAL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

these are questionable;
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {45432B26-C76C-43C3-B7D3-EF5A132B995F} (CCPPlayer Control) - file://E:\CCS-WebKit\pCCPPlayer.cab
O16 - DPF: {48DD0448-9209-4F81-9F6D-D83562940134} (MySpace Uploader Control) - http://lads.myspace.com/upload/MySpaceUploader1005.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} (Facebook Photo Uploader 4 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader3.cab

looks like this is unnecessary and could get excessing
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
see this article re Ati2evxx.exe

sorry i didn't reply sooner - i thought i'd set it to email me notifications of posts.

anyway, the task manager is telling me that
"system idle process" is taking up plenty of cpu usage although i have a feeling that this is quite harmless (forgive my computer ignorance)
sometimes "ieplore.exe" also takes up its fair share

the one program that i definitely need to put a stop to is asus live update ("liveupdt.exe") which can take up 97% of cpu usage.

how do i go about changing the processes you mentioned to manual/disable?
i couldn't locate them in services.msc or the similar program in hijack this. should it be easier to locate them? or am i just not using the correct method? cheers.

vincentm84 said:
anyway, the task manager is telling me that
"system idle process" is taking up plenty of cpu usage although i have a feeling that this is quite harmless (forgive my computer ignorance)
correct. this actually means the system is doing nothing -- eg IDLE ;)

the one program that i definitely need to put a stop to is asus live update ("liveupdt.exe") which can take up 97% of cpu usage.
use Add/Remove to uninstall it
how do i go about changing the processes you mentioned to manual/disable?
i couldn't locate them in services.msc or the similar program in hijack this. should it be easier to locate them? or am i just not using the correct method? cheers.

this is in the services; run->services.msc
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

for these

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime​
I used Spybot S&D to control the startup and unchecked the [x] box in front of the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back