Computer crashed, HP recovery system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhel

Every time I turned on my computer it made a horrible noise, you could tell it was the fan/cooling system, then it started turning off by itself for several days until somebody suggested to clean the fan, it was disgusting, it might sound stupid but I know nothing about computers, anyway I vaccum it, and then after that it would not make any weird sound it actually sounded nice BUT it wouldnt work after the cleaning not even on safe mode. When I try to reboot it to safe mode the last I see is: system32\DRIVERS\gagp30kx.sys ... wich makes me think it is a system error and not a hardware issue. I read the posts about fixing windows xp with the xp installation cd, which I dont have since my computer only came with the HP Recovery System Cds, can I still try to "fix" my computer without losing any data? I am very worried about losing my info because I have all my newborn pics there (and I already lost all the pics of my other baby for messing with the computer). Thanks

Hi,

According to HP there could be some data loss using the HP recovery CD leading me to think it will re format your drive.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00258302

I would recommend if you have Pictures and other items that need rescuing that you gain access using a Live CD. This is basically a Linux system loaded onto a CD/DVD. This then runs off the CD/DVD and will allow you to copy your pictures to a removable hard drive or memory stick etc.
More information can be found here

gagp30kx.sys is a special agp driver for via-chipset motherboards and works similarly to the agp440.sys.

From BleepingComputer:
Filename: gagp30kx.sys
Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Information:
Microsoft driver to be used with a VIA K8 motherboard for CPU to AGP communications.

BEFORE you attempt a recovery do this:
Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manager> look for any yellow triangle with black ! indicating an error. Whether it can be prepared or not- if it's corrupt, missing or needs update, you should still be backing up anything you do not want to lose.

What is a bit confusing is that your model had Intel chips in nmotherboard, not agp.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...99&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=1843644&lang=en

But I am not a hardware person.

(I'm with you on the chocolate, rev_olie!)

(I'm with you on the chocolate, rev_olie!)

Ha-ha Ive been sat here thinking why you said that but finally realised...one of those rare but getting slightly more common moments :D

Also on the AGP front i see what you mean. I was daft enough to make the assumption but clearly i was wrong with that in mind better get the data secure before tinkering further...conffuzeling

I am downloading another ones since the one I did before wasnt the right one.
Bobbye I cannot access windows so I cant access control panel either.....

Old dopey me! I had a lapse too- I though Safe Mode, but you can't access that. You will have to do the recovery and you will lose some content. Sadly, some of us don't remember to backup before the problem happens!

To use CSI "speak"- the drive causing the error "isn't consistent with" your motherboard with the Intel chip!

Old dopey me! I had a lapse too- I though Safe Mode, but you can't access that

haha this thread is bringing out the worst in us!

You will have to do the recovery and you will lose some content. Sadly, some of us don't remember to backup before the problem happens!

Hopefully here Knoppix will save the day, any luck japhel?

Hey guys,sorry for not posting earlier, I appreciate your patience!
I had issued with burning the cd, I had no idea I needed to use an ISO burner, sorry, I told you I had no idea about all these, you are talking to a simple person not a computer expert like you guys. I have to go to bed now and I will try again first thing in the morning, oh and I downoaded from Ubuntu instead of Knoppix because the CD I created with Knoppix told me there were some errors or so...see you tomorrow

That's fine i was just wondering what had happened.

I had no idea I needed to use an ISO burner,

It took me 7 CD-R's to figure that out on my first attempt so that's common. I will go and add it to the guide however just to clarify for the future.

Ubuntu will work just the same so if it works then that's fine

Good luck

Well, I must be doing something wrong because the discs are not working I burned 2 one Knoppix and 1 Ubuntu and both gave me errors. What would be the best speed to burn them? And also which version should I use for Knoppix? Gosh I wish they had manuals for dumb people....

Your not dumb its just knowing how it works that's all...

1, Can you tell me what errors you are getting? it may just be something else that needs changing.

Now how to get it going...

1, Try this mirror for your download

2, Then download ImgBurn

3, In image burn,
  • Select write image file to disk
  • Insert blank CD
  • Select a file to write by clicking on the 'Browse for file' button.
  • Click the 'Write' button. (its the big picture of a CD with the green arrow...it took me ages to find it

Your CD is now ready.

4, Then put the CD in your CD tray of the computer you want to load knoppix onto

5, Restart the PC and the disk should load.
If not follow these instructions

However that's just general but the main steps. Depending on the error you may need to try something else. Also make sure it is a blank disk you are using. If its had anything else on it it wont work.

I tried it again,here is what I got...

dev/hda...insmod: can't read ' /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': I/0 error insmod: can't read ' /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': I/0 error
Can't find KNOPPIX fliesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.
Additional builtin commands available:
cat insmod mount rmmod unmount ismod

I have no idea what all these means....

Well i haven't seen that before if I'm perfectly honest.

Just to make sure ( i don't want to sound patronising but I'm just checking)
1, You re downloaded the image
2, you use ImgBurn to create the disk
3, You used a blank CD not been used before

If you can you could do to try the disk on another computer. If it works then you have damage to your optical drive which is preventing the live disk to run.

If this also doesn't work then create the boot disk again and use half write speed to make sure that's not a problem. Also making sure the disk is big enough (700Mb or above) otherwise it may loose some of the files.

According to the Knoppix help this error for the Cloop file is more commonly created through the improper media:
If your KNOPPIX CD makes strange noises during boot, or you see
frequent errors like "cloop: read error", or programs on your KDE
desktop keep crashing randomly, then your CD image is probably defective
or incomplete, or your CD-burner created a defective CD due to wrong
writing speed or bad media. This is the most common error reported

Therefore i think its a case of trying again. Also did the ubuntu CD give the same error or similar? if it did then its down to either creating the CD or hardware

Then we may try a cheat code

These are codes made to change the booting of knoppix. I'm simply looking at alternatives around the net and have seen these work so try,

1, When knoppix boots and gives you the error message type:

"home=scan"

"toram"

I know its taking a while and I'm sorry for that. Ive never had a huge problem with it so I'm confused as to why its bringing this up. Usually after 1 or 2 burn's it works but if you stick with it we will get your photos back :)

It doesnt worl on the other computer either and the cheat code did not work....I am going to cry :( I read somewhere that you have to download big files on FTP, once again I am clueless abut it but I will try to figure the FTP thing out, but I will also be waiting for your answer...need some moral support here:blush:

I read somewhere that you have to download big files on FTP

An FTP is file transfer protocol used to exchange and manipulate files over a TCP (transmission Control Protocol) computer network, such as the Internet.

It basically is sending files over a network as such to put it very simply. This is more client server base so not allot of help here ;)

It doesn't work on the other computer either and the cheat code did not work

That isn't particularly something we want to hear.

I'm wondering now whether instead of taking the files from the hard drive and backing them up on another computer but we take the hard drive from computer to computer...

Can i just ask a few more questions...

1, You said it doesn't work on the other computer which makes me think you have another computer...if this windows or something else?

Also is it a Laptop or Desktop?
In fact Ive taken the original PC as a desktop is that true...meaning you have 2 desktops?

If we were to change the hard drive would you be comfortable in doing so? its wouldn't be to difficult but would allow you to take the data straight from the hard drive without the need for Knoppix or any other Linux distro...its up to you.

I will wait for your reply and will make ready 2 replies just in case you aren't comfortable changing the hardware and will hopefully be able to figure out the knoppix problem...

need some moral support here :blush:
But it will be done, do not worry everything will be safe and work out fine!! it just may take longer than expected :eek:

Gosh I wish they had manuals for dumb people....

They do- They're called "Dummies For ......." I think I have the whole set! Great reference books, lay speak, not geek.

haha lay speak not geek,

i hate those books though. All black and white feels like a news paper and also the fact they seem to use industry averages allot making them go out of date quicker. I have a build your own PC for dummies and they say the average amount of ram is 64MB...nice Vista would love that

ok guys, I give up! After 12 cds that didnt work I decided to order Knoppix online, hopefully it will arrive before I go nuts and disasemble the computer or just throw it away!

I wouldnt mind trying to get the hd out, that is actually how it all started and now I have 2 hd with all my pictures that I cant make work again.... I think it is an issue of incompability with technology.....
Thanks for all the help and patience and will let you know when I get my pics back....

12!!!

Wow i thought you'd done like 5 or something, hmm well something is wrong somewhere and I'm sorry its taken a while but hopefully when you get the CD (its pretty quick to) it should work, and if not we will try something else.

But don't give up just think of what you will loose if you do and its really not worth it, months of memories gone, itl work just keep trying because there's always a solution if one solution doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back